Dash speaker size? '65/'66 Chrysler

Carl K

Reaction score
Do you know offhand what the size of the speaker in the dash of a '65/'66 Chrysler is? I'd like to have a dual cone replacement on the way before I take out the old one.

thanks!
Carl

Thank you! Do you remember if there was any clearance issues with the depth of the speaker/magnet?

Carl

Hey Carl, Are you replacing the head unit? I'd love to know what you are putting in. I'm mostly working on mechanical issues but this will make it to the top of list someday.

I purchased a direct placement from Rocketrestorations on e-bay .they sold a dual voice coil speaker but said it would not work well with my factory AM/FM radio as it is 4 ohms and the dual voice coil is 4 ohms for each coil x 2 = 8ohms. single coil cost $34.00 haven't had a chance to install it yet. size is 4 x 10 and came with new mounting hardware.

Last edited:
In my 66 New Yorker it was a 6x9 with 2 metal brackets that adapted it to the dash. When we upgraded the sound system , my wife cut out a plexiglass piece that would screw to the two factory brackets and allow the install of two 4" square speakers. Took a couple of prototypes to get the correct fit. She cut the plexiglass on her table top laser.

MarkS: I had an original radio converted to AM/FM/Bluetooth/USB. It should be on it's way back to me this week.

66NewYorker and Commando1: You are both right. Here's a picture of the speaker that came with my radio. Looks like either size could be made to work.

speaker.jpg

And for reference, here's some of the instructions that came with the original radio that I had converted:

radio2.jpg

I found a NOS kit on eBay that contained an AM radio and speaker, plus mounting hardware and instructions. I figure it was for people who's car originally came with a radio delete. There's an interesting note to switch the woodgrain facia (see note 1). My kit did not include this facia.

I went with an Aurora conversion. They have a lot of dealers who convert radios using their hardware.

Automotive Home

I sent mine to Ricks Radio Conversions in Virginia. His prices are listed on his site. Each conversion dealer charges differently. It was cheaper to send my radio from CA to VA than use the guy who is 30 miles from me.

He posted some videos of how the conversion works on his Facebook page:

Ricks Radio Conversions

Last edited:
I've heard really good things about the Aurora conversion.

Retro Sound makes this 6x9 speaker that has separate tweeters for each channel and is pretty thin. It should work well with your conversion. I have one in the back of my 300 Vert and it's decent for sound. 6x9-Inch Ultra-thin Dash Speaker

Good info, looking to work on the speaker issue in my '66

K. I. S. S. Buy a 4x10 speaker adapter and go nuts with whatever way you want to go. About 6-7 bucks.

Speaker-Adapters-BKUSB80-detailed-image-1.jpg

His opening is 6 x 9 if I'm reading this correctly.

It's a good alternative and I'm sure an adapter can be bought or fabricated. I did a 4 x 10 out of some scrap MDF for the front speaker in my 300.

It's a good method though and I'm sure something similar could be fabricated or bought.

I installed a 6x9 in my dash as well as in between the rear seat in my '65 vert. The 6x9 fit under the dash without issue. I only needed to relocate my remote trunk release in the glove box due to the larger magnet.

I went with an Aurora conversion. They have a lot of dealers who convert radios using their hardware.

Automotive Home

I sent mine to Ricks Radio Conversions in Virginia. His prices are listed on his site. Each conversion dealer charges differently. It was cheaper to send my radio from CA to VA than use the guy who is 30 miles from me.

He posted some videos of how the conversion works on his Facebook page:

Ricks Radio Conversions

Thanks for the link Carl - your converted radio is dope!

This seemed as good of a place to ask this as any. I want to remove the metal grill in the dash, but it doesn't want to come out and I have already restored the dash and grill. I don't want to screw anything up any suggestions?

I have not gotten there yet, but the instructions to change the speaker involve removing the upper cardboard portion of the glovebox, and taking the speaker out from below. I've got the glovebox out, and the radio and AC duct that's under the radio. With those gone, the speaker is accessible. Once I get the speaker out, I'll let you know how the speaker grill is retained.

I have not gotten there yet, but the instructions to change the speaker involve removing the upper cardboard portion of the glovebox, and taking the speaker out from below. I've got the glovebox out, and the radio and AC duct that's under the radio. With those gone, the speaker is accessible. Once I get the speaker out, I'll let you know how the speaker grill is retained.
That is exactly what I need to know. I won't touch the grill and just access it from the bottom. Thanks Carl

Back