Dash Swap

Kooka

Reaction score
Anyone know if a 1966 Town and Country dash will bolt in a 1968 Polara? I'm suspecting it might given the windshield on these 2 models will interchange.

What about the steering column and where it passes through the dash. It’s quite different there.

What about the collapsible steering column that the 1966s didn't have?

Better check the basic mounting places at each end of the instrument panel assy for compatibility. Just because the windshields might be the same has NO bearing upon if the two instrument panels MIGHT go in the same place.

Do you have both cars sitting side-by-side or the capabilities to do so?

Might be a project that is best "dreamed about" and let it stay that way?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thanks for the feedback...I need to ponder whether I want to explore this further. The 66 TC dash is available and I thought the radiused speedo and humped dash pad looks nicer than what's in the 68 Polara. Anyone other than me think so as well?

I have no idea... and chances are no one here has made or even thought about the swap. I guess it never hurts to ask though.

I do think it could look really good.

Here's my two cents....

Get your tape measure out and start making sketches. That's the only way you'll ever start to figure it out. if the width is there, you're probably halfway home.

Honestly, you won't be 100% until you actually try to bolt the other dash in...

The cowl is the same from '65-'68, so the dash will bolt in.

As mentioned, you would need the 1966 column along with the dash support/brake pedal mounting bracket. Of course the '66 dash will need to be complete with the wiring harness too. You'd need to double check that they didn't move any wires around in the bulkhead connector from '66 to '68. If your HVAC system functions at all, it's going to matter that the dash matches what's in your car: A/C vs. just heat.

The other hurdle would be that it can be quite difficult to remove and install a c body dash with the windshield in place. On most of the dash styles you can just barely get an offset wrench on the heads of the bolts to get them out. I think there are one or two styles that you either can't or you have to remove the pad in order to access the bolts.

And yes, the '68 Dodge dash wasn't all that great. It's much worse after all the plastic chrome wears off and turns yellow. It costs a fortune to make those look nice again.

Jeff

The dash will bolt in as @bigmoparjeff says, but you will need the 66 Chrysler column, as it has a specific collar that mates with the 66 Chrysler dash. Keep in mind all the tips offered by the others above. Regarding the column, well, there's some more to consider. 1966 (and 1965) Chrysler columns are non-interchangeable with Dodge and Plymouth columns, and depending if your car is column shift or console shift, here are some options for columns from eBay - note that I simply searched 1966 Chrysler steering column, and many of the hits were ones that wouldn't fit. These are all the ones that will bolt in correctly:

MOPAR 1966 CHRYSLER 300 FLOOR SHIFT STEERING COLUMN 65 66 | eBay

CHRYSLER 1966-1967 TILT-TELESCOPIC STEERING COLUMN FROM A 1966 C BODY. | eBay

66 NEWPORT STEERING COLUMN 256646 | eBay

1966 Chrysler 300 tilt and telescopic steering column | eBay

1966 Chrysler 300 Tilt And Telescopic Steering Column | eBay

66 NEWPORT NEW YORKER MOPAR C BODY POWER STEERING COLUMN COMPLETE OEM #2 | eBay

66 NEWPORT NEW YORKER MOPAR C BODY POWER STEERING COLUMN COMPLETE OEM GOLD | eBay

66 TOWN & COUNTRY STEERING COLUMN 304908 | eBay

I really appreciate all the feedback and advice. You guys are awesome.

If you decide you need a '66 column, I have at least one (not T&T though) which is yours for the cost of shipping. Shoot me a private message if you want.

Back