Daves new addition

polara71

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
As asked in the other thread here are the details.... and I appreciate the anticipation by the way........ Its been a long two and a half weeks.

After Fred had shown us the original E bay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-...sGbNyB0XjbmNx%2FH%2F8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I had lost all appetite and sleep for the next ten days. I had reached out to the seller for more details and photos. Over the next several days we had talked a bit on the phone and he had sent me photos of the car that werent in the listing..Being an FK5 car with the buckets and console I needed this car, my soul needed this car. This is exactly what I had set out for seventeen years ago but couldnt locate. A white interior and/or Superlite would have been icing on the cake but I'm more than fine with it.

With days to go I had asked him to consider an offer and pull the auction, he declined and wanted the auction to run out. Mark and I were both watching this one very closely and couldnt believe our eyes when it didnt get a bid. I was on the phone in minutes ( thanks to Marks coaching) with the seller and threw him a number. He countered I said no. He countered again and again I said no. He agreed on my price and away I went, to Missouri 7pm last Thursday evening, with the U haul trailer in tow and dad in the passenger seat we headed out.
That damn ride was way longer than I anticipated, Google maps was off by almost 200 miles one way. I drove from Jersey to just East of Indy, I gave dad the wheel and I slept a half hour. Back at the wheel I took her through Illinois and half way through Missouri. I met the seller at a local Home Depot to cut off an hour off my trip.....
IMG_8647.jpgIMG_8648.jpg

The rain, the long miles, lack of sleep and meeting Missouri's finest with a speeding ticket in hand I was a cranky SOB. The seller didnt find the charming fellow he had on the phone and I couldnt head east fast enough.

Many stops along the way, gas, bathroom and a dinner break at the St Louis Arbys (and again in Columbus) did slow us down.

IMG_8653.jpgIMG_8654.jpg193510 2014 highway to home St Louis.jpg

Good thing gas prices are down, at 12 MPGS with the car on the back I just kept peeling off greenbacks....

193510 2014 on the trailer coming home.jpg193510 2014 on the trailer.jpg

Actually the truck handled incredibly well..........much better than I could have expected.

I pretty much drove all the way home with two half hour naps one in WV and another in PA before the turnpike. We were home by 1 pm Saturday without incident.

Saturday afternoon the trunk mat came out and went into the garbage along with the mud flaps, fog lights and am/fm under dash radio and speaker.

Sunday morning found me outside washing and drying the car. Then inside the garage I went and pulled a box of carpet I had bought 12 years ago for the white car, opened it and laid it out... I put the car in the back and started taking out the interior. I had to. With the trunk being solid and the bath proving her to be better looking than I had thought I needed to see those floors, I needed to see the proof, that would seal the deal, good or bad, which was it.... No build sheet on the back seat back, no sheet on the back seat bottom, damn it someone went through here. No build sheet on the bottom of the buckets and a screw was missing on the seat backs, GOD DAMN it someone pulled them, there was nothing.... nodda! Nothing on the glove compartment box top either...I gave up hope, figuring I lost all chance of knowing the cars true heritage, I was sure the carpet was replaced.

The carpet on the passenger side rear was torn, and as I had already pulled the rear seat bottom I knew why. There was a critter inside the car at one point and he had made a nest under the seat with the carpet. Well, as I pulled the carpet on the passenger side I saw a ball of carpet from that critter and guess what was in pieces in that ball... thats right, a build sheet, so miniscule you wouldnt have thought it to be bits of paper. Well, that just about brought tears

I moved over to the left side of the car and started to remove the rear panels and trim. Once that was completed I flipped up the rear carpet and my heart stopped, there it was, Mopar Gold, a build sheet, well, half a build sheet. I thought, please, please, please be folded in half. I reached out and gently picked it up, with all the floor indents I carefully, with two hands, touched it, picked it up and rolled it over........ HOT DAMN the other side. My last chance, there it was......

With that build sheet I am told that the car was built with some nice options including the wood steering wheel and road wheels. To make things even more incredible is the floors and frame are solid, SOLID, SOLID, SOLID. A few surface rust spots here and there from water intrusion but all in all I did good. I like this car a bunch and have plans for it. Another puzzling part to the cars history/ mystery is it has tires on it form 1973.... WTF? Glad I wasnt going to drive it home..

193510 2014 build sheet nest 2.jpg193510 2014 under driver seat.jpgIMG_8733.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8653.jpg

IMG_8654.jpg

193510 2014 highway to home St Louis.jpg

193510 2014 on the trailer coming home.jpg

193510 2014 on the trailer.jpg

193510 2014 build sheet nest 2.jpg

193510 2014 under driver seat.jpg

IMG_8733.jpg

Damn nice car and congrats on finding the build sheet Dave !

I really wish it could have worked out so we could meet up

Congrats Dave!! I'm ecstatic for you! Shes a real looker!

This was the first toy hauled home with the new truck too wasn't it?

Wow great find Dave, I am very happy for you. You have quite the collection of c-bodies.

Wow Dave, what a nice find. I am really happy for you. I love the way that vert looks, especially with the road wheels and the wood grain steering wheel no less and apparently not even a crack in the dashpad that I can see. Super on finding the build sheet. It also has a nice stance.

Do you think there is any chance that could be a 30K car instead of 130K? It looks too nice for the latter. Looks like a factory 4 bbl, is that right? Looks like all you might want to do is add disc brakes.

What is that huge covered area in one of the photos?

You did good!

Steve

Congrats on the new car...she's a beauty!!

You lucked out on the build sheet....now go buy a lottery ticket. ;) Thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations on the auction, negotiations, and pick up and delivery of the car....very fun to read along and enjoy.

Damn nice car and congrats on finding the build sheet Dave !

I really wish it could have worked out so we could meet up

Thank You... and yeah, me too. I tried to get together with you and Ross but the time line for both of you was wayyyy off. I went through Columbus at 2 AM.

Wow Dave, what a nice find. I am really happy for you. I love the way that vert looks, especially with the road wheels and the wood grain steering wheel no less and apparently not even a crack in the dashpad that I can see. Super on finding the build sheet. It also has a nice stance.

Do you think there is any chance that could be a 30K car instead of 130K? It looks too nice for the latter. Looks like a factory 4 bbl, is that right? Looks like all you might want to do is add disc brakes.

What is that huge covered area in one of the photos?

You did good!

Steve

Thanks Steve, That huge covered area is at the Home Depot, dont know what it is for. We parked under it to get out of the rain, they were unloading tractor trailers under there, it was that big.

The dash pad is a perfect three speaker dash pad and yes, that is an N code 383 under the dual snorkel ..
No chance of the 30K more like a pampered 130,000. The top has been replaced and there is a whole lot of oil under that engine. The stance is a little flat as the springs are arched the wrong way, they're that bad and it has factory discs up front..... :yaayy:

Last edited:
Congrats on the new car...she's a beauty!!

You lucked out on the build sheet....now go buy a lottery ticket. ;) Thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations on the auction, negotiations, and pick up and delivery of the car....very fun to read along and enjoy.

Thank You, I tend to bore people.....

Just stunning Dave!

Excellent score!

Plenty of room on that U-Haul....did you tell them you were hauling a K-car? LOL!

Just stunning Dave!

Excellent score!

Plenty of room on that U-Haul....did you tell them you were hauling a K-car? LOL!

No, a 1970 dodge dart with a 6......... That trailer was new, never had a car on it, brand spanking new tires.... nice aluminum trailer

Amazing shape. That was a cannonball run to get a car!

Worst part is the next time I looked at e bay I saw the listing for that no drive trained 1971 Polara brougham two door....... I want it!

Hello, my name is Dave and I have a problem.

Back