David Hill and I stopped bidding at $4.5 million....

Trace 300 Hurst

Professional Tinkerer
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
....on this amazing Cuda at Mecum Indy on Friday. The bidding soon got to $4.9M but didn't meet the reserve.

DZAV2110.JPG
IMG_7143.JPG

Oh....sorry. I missed a decimal point or two. David and I stopped bidding at $4500.00. But we sure had a great day looking at cars in Indy. :thumbsup:

....."Honey, I tried to sell my car, but I just couldn't get a reasonable offer"
Maybe, he was just testing the waters in Indy, then will try selling it again in a couple months Monterey CA where there will be more buyers with deeper pockets. Jay Leno has a 67 Hemi Barracuda, but I don't think he have a Hemi Cuda convertible yet in his collection.

Yes, I turned it on and they had just run the 71 Charger through, then the AAR, and the T/A, etc.
He went after that whole string of Mopars, doing some pushing and some dabbling bids. I gave my amateur advice on which ones to push and when to bail out. I thought he quit too soon on the Pilot Cuda, but he pushed and won that amazing Tor Red Superbird (S190). And I winced when he was going after the ugly Burnt/White TA (S204) so he bailed on that one.

The Lemon AAR (S192) was in amazing original condition and was a good buy at 100K.

I was thrilled when he also stole that 70 Lemon RR. What an honest car that was. ZERO options other than the paint. Radio delete. Probably a Vietnam vet, made it back alive and bought what he could afford....

But the real killer was the Red 71 Hemi Cuda. 4 speed. Loaded. All boxes checked.

I did mention to him that the black 300G was flawless (Dave and I drooled on it Friday), but he was strictly after muscle. I told him that my Hurst was considered a gentleman's muscle car.......ahem. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
....."Honey, I tried to sell my car, but I just couldn't get a reasonable offer"
Maybe, he was just testing the waters in Indy, then will try selling it again in a couple months Monterey CA where there will be more buyers with deeper pockets. Jay Leno has a 67 Hemi Barracuda, but I don't think he have a Hemi Cuda convertible yet in his collection.
Had the bids gotten closer to his reserve, he may have made the deal. But you're right. There is indeed a marketing strategy for these exceptional cars, and a good part of it is "getting it out there". Remember that a few weeks ago Foxnews.com had an article about the car and its estimated value a high as $6.5. Last I knew, Fox is not an automotive news organization, so how did this car get THAT sort of reporting? Strategy!

Last I knew, Fox is not an automotive news organization, so how did this car get THAT sort of reporting? Strategy!
Whoever was reporting on it most likely called Mecum's bidder line before the auction to ask what they thought thought the car would sell for.
I'll bet their reply would've been $6.5M, only to pump up the excitement on such a rare piece of machinery. Mecum auction's are great, but they try to squeeze every nickel out of a car they can get. I don't blame them though. It's what they do.
When Mecum was in Schaumburg, IL a few years ago, I called them about a cream 70 300 that was going on the block, and had been sitting in a dealership's window for years, which was being offered for the first time for sale to the public. Extremely clean and all original. They told me the seller wouldn't take less than $12,500 for the car, so I opted to not buy a bidders pass for $150 because the market was not there at the time for those kind of prices.
The next week, I went to Mecum as a drooler, and saw the 300 in the back parking lot of the convention center with a "Sold" sign on it. It had been sold for $4,700, IIRC. Son of a B!
I would've gone for it at that price had I known, but somebody else walked away with a sweet deal on that car.

Whoever was reporting on it most likely called Mecum's bidder line before the auction to ask what they thought thought the car would sell for.
I'll bet their reply would've been $6.5M, only to pump up the excitement on such a rare piece of machinery. Mecum auction's are great, but they try to squeeze every nickel out of a car they can get. I don't blame them though. It's what they do.
When Mecum was in Schaumburg, IL a few years ago, I called them about a cream 70 300 that was going on the block, and had been sitting in a dealership's window for years, which was being offered for the first time for sale to the public. Extremely clean and all original. They told me the seller wouldn't take less than $12,500 for the car, so I opted to not buy a bidders pass for $150 because the market was not there at the time for those kind of prices.
The next week, I went to Mecum as a drooler, and saw the 300 in the back parking lot of the convention center with a "Sold" sign on it. It had been sold for $4,700, IIRC. Son of a B!
I would've gone for it at that price had I known, but somebody else walked away with a sweet deal on that car.

Yes, that is definitely what they do. Squeeze at both ends of the deal. But that Cuda's "estimated" was set long before that Fox piece came out. My point is that they weren't star-stuck by some reporter and wanted to blow smoke at him/her. I'm sure it was the other way around....Fox heard about a $6.5M car that sold new for $5800.
Mecum nailed the Bullitt car's selling price, btw, and how does one put a price on a rusty, junky car like that. :wtf:

As for the $12,500 300, the seller had a pipe dream but when the bidding quickly fizzled he came off his reserve instead of haul the damn thing back to storage. I've seen that at Mecum and Barrett a zillion times. Not many of those low-budget, Tuesday/Wednesday cars are shown on tv, so unless your there you don't see how much of it goes on.

Regardless, Dana and Frank Mecum aren't worrying about putting food on the table. :D

I agree with some that the French Cuda was being marketed as a teaser for other sales. The big miss was the black 300 convertible. That was bad to the bone quality. My personal observation the quality of prep and detail on some cars offered was lacking. If I can polish trim to an exceptional level so can the sellers. The exception being survivor cars. Enjoy the pics below. My camera battery was failing so some shots were pretty bad, so please bear with.

DSC03875.JPG

DSC03877.JPG

DSC03878.JPG

DSC03879.JPG

DSC03880.JPG

DSC03881.JPG

DSC03882.JPG

DSC03883.JPG

DSC03884.JPG

DSC03885.JPG

Back