dead horse im sure...

swisherred

Reaction score
I have a 67 newport stock 383 single exhaust. Its been a very quiet ride that is wonderful inside and out...gigantic muffler that seems like its damn near 4ft long..

well, today i removed the exhaust from the Y pipe ball joint back...and fell in love. It sounds incredible....but too loud and a bit raspy...

I want to put a single muffler in that will not have serious in car drone, but will definitely sound like it did today outside...just a bit quieter, deep bass, throat...I would prefer not to cut up the exhaust to do this....add some fine...but not hack it to pieces..

recommendations? leaning towards the delta 50 flowmaster, but still kinda not sure on that one..or possibly flowtech afterburner

I know many will question why or say dont...you know the drill on that one...

Last edited:
I have a 67 newport stock 383 single exhaust. Its been a very quiet ride that is wonderful inside and out...gigantic muffler that seems like its damn near 4ft long..

well, today i removed the exhaust from the Y pipe ball joint back...and fell in love. It sounds incredible....but too loud and a bit raspy...

I want to put a single muffler in that will not have serious in car drone, but will definitely sound like it did today outside...just a bit quieter, deep bass, throat...I would prefer not to cut up the exhaust to do this....add some fine...but not hack it to pieces..

recommendations? leaning towards the delta 50 flowmaster, but still kinda not sure on that one..or possibly flowtech afterburner

I know many will question why or say dont...you know the drill on that one...

If you plan to convert to duals, the Hemi mufflers have a nice tone. What you do not want is a low restriction muffler that makes you Chrysler sound like a rice grinder.

Dave

for now...sticking with the single exhaust...until i do more upgrades to the engine I dont have much need to change to duals. I have other places I want to spend my money first. I do NOT want rice....very particular about exhaust notes...no rattle...no rice...no rasp....do you have info on the hemi muffler? part numbers?

Last edited:
No answers from me but I happened to see the program Engine Masters on the Motor Trend channel last night. It ran a rather stock Ford engine and compared 2 1/2 inch dual exhaust with a 2 1/2 inch to one 3 inch exhaust with turbo mufflers and straight through muffler on both the dual and single 3 inch exhaust. I won't give it away but worth seeing as it concerns what you are dealing with. I will say you will be pleased. Also in my opinion don't stick on a Flowmaster that is the favorite of the Cuda crowd. They all seem to sound the same. They all seem to want to look and sound alike to be part of their elite group. You know ,,a circle jerk...

Last edited:
I know some don't care for this type of sound, but try a glass pack resonator from Walker - use a length of pipe to get the resonator's outlet at the same place the original muffler is, and put it all on with clamps so you can change it up.

Walker 21398, 21340, 21569 are all very long, and I expect would work.

Shorter mufflers equals less muffling, so get the longest resonator you can get.

Last edited:
As far as flowmeter....I don't care for a lot of them. I don't care for the idle sound mostly but they can sound tinny while having bass...odd. I am finding it very hard to find examples with single exhaust and engines that aren't cammed all to hell...so its hard to find what I like. The flow tech has the most potential for me of those two....glasspacks? I personally like them...and may try one...with the long pipe it might actually work well.

I'm usually not one to recommend them, but if you really like the raspy sound, you could just go with the classic glas-pack muffler. Uber cheap and easy to install. Generic versions come in different lengths with longer being a little quieter. Lot's of cars had them in the 60's. Example: https://www.jegs.com/p/Cherry-Bomb/Cherry-Bomb-Glasspack-Mufflers/769804/10002/-1

Another version is the steel-pack mufflers. They tend to be a little deeper and are a classic 50's type sound. The only one making them (that I know of) is Porter's Standard Length Muffler

The downside is they sometimes have a drone and the fiberglass matting will eventually burn out and then they get a little loud.

As far as flowmeter....I don't care for a lot of them. I don't care for the idle sound mostly but they can sound tinny while having bass...odd. I am finding it very hard to find examples with single exhaust and engines that aren't cammed all to hell...so its hard to find what I like. The flow tech has the most potential for me of those two....glasspacks? I personally like them...and may try one...with the long pipe it might actually work well.
Ha! I hit "post" as this came up!

I asked my muffler guy this question when I was having my exhaust system built. I wanted more rumble than nitro peak highs ,,actually no highs,,just mass of sound. He got me Magnaflows and I love them.

When Flowmasters came out, they were the hottest thing around. Low restriction and better alleged power. But then EVERY Mustang 5.0-er had to have them. I came to hate hearing them approach as they always had to show off, it seemed.

Quality glasspacks, of the correct tubing size, are the classic "hot rod" muffler, from back then. Most of them came as "blanks" that the pipes were welded onto. Every muffler shop had them, back then.

The C-body-size mufflers were all the same case size, from about '65 - '73 model years. And probably the '74-'78 cars, too? Except for the '69 Polara 440/375 police cars, which used the factory Street Hemi mufflers (which are shorter).

CBODY67

To me single exhaust with any muffler other than stock sound like an old truck. Step up with a duel system with a crossover pipe. As far a mufflers, well lots available.

Some trucks sound great... surprisingly, the NG powered UPS cube vans (fibreglass bodied dually type) in my neck of the woods sound excellent. I would be intrigued as to what their muffler is...

My first car was a 68 Charger with a 318.
When the muffler went I put a Cherry Bomb muffler in it’s place.
Great low rumble at idle and no drone at speed. Never loud.
(Dad would’ve had a fit thinking of the neighbors and all)
Impressed the “non-car” folks enough to think the car was fast.
Guys always wanted to race that car.

Last edited:
I remember my van having a 440 in it with headers and 36" glass packs running to side dumps..loved the sound..never tinney or raspy...honestly not even that loud. I had no carpet in it and no interior walls or headliner and the air outside was louder than the exhaust. I do not want to invest the money into a full dual exhaust right now. I want to drive it. I have fixed everything that needed fixing to be able to and I just want to drive it but id like it to sound a little better without hacking everything to pieces again.

Cheap way out is the old faithful thrush turbo muffler. I use Stainless Works in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. I can spec out any size or inlet outlet size and position that I want and they can quiet them down or set them on kill if you want. And it is last muffler you’ll ever buy:

Cheap way out is the old faithful thrush turbo muffler. I use Stainless Works in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. I can spec out any size or inlet outlet size and position that I want and they can quiet them down or set them on kill if you want. And it is last muffler you’ll ever buy:
funny...im watching videos on those right now...

And it is last muffler you’ll ever buy:

Unless you encounter ignition problems causing a backfire, then they peel away like tin cans! That's not their fault though. I think they're a great muffler. The set that was on my car were at least twenty years old, when they blew up they were still rust free inside. So I bought another pair, and the problem came back and blew them up. So I bought a couple el cheapo welded "Jones" mufflers, free flowing, but with a V style baffle, unlike the perforated tubes the thrush's have. I hate the Jones'! They're too loud and have drone. Of course, the problem was solved and never came back. Now I'm "stuck" with mufflers I don't like. And the interior pipe size is significantly larger than specified, the thrush's were perfect.

I ‘m not sure about that. There are no cheapskate seams in them they are fully tig welded stainless inside and out. Beware of the Walker “stainless” mufflers. The guts are mild steel.

Back