WANTED Dealer spare key key tag

Status
Not open for further replies.

shooter65

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi Everyone,

Too much time on my hands I guess but does anyone have a picture of what the dealer spare key tags looked like in 69?

This is a modern one for reference to what I'm looking for.
dealer key tag.jpg

I just think it would be a cool item for my spare Fury keys.

You kinda missed your chance, recently. Mecum's Indy "Steve Juliano OnTime" web bid auction had TONS of that sort of dealer promo stuff. Key fobs from all sorts of dealers, including very cool "service reminder" key fobs. Cocktail sets, ashtrays, apparel, jewelry, golf gloves (?), nail clippers (??!).....just anything and everything regarding dealer promos.

I didn't see any paper tags like you showed, but I was able to capture a few pics off of the Mecum website as examples. [You have to be a registered bidder to access it.] Anyway, everything sold because bidding started at $5 for all items. And I was really pleased to have won the bowling ball bag in the last picture. It's now in my trunk, holding jumpers, tools, and spare parts.

iSS0013-2.jpg
iTT0009-2.jpg

This was weird. It's a "name and phone number" contacts keyfob. Clever idea for back then, but I'm glad I have my iPhone....
iSS0016-1.jpg
iTT0110-1.jpg
iTT0379-1.jpg
IMG_4488.JPG

MQIF3380.JPG

None of those promotional key tags are remotely close to what was used on the keys from the factory, somewhere I have one from a 73 Plymouth, need to find it.

Alan

You kinda missed your chance, recently. Mecum's Indy "Steve Juliano OnTime" web bid auction had TONS of that sort of dealer promo stuff. Key fobs from all sorts of dealers, including very cool "service reminder" key fobs. Cocktail sets, ashtrays, apparel, jewelry, golf gloves (?), nail clippers (??!).....just anything and everything regarding dealer promos.

I didn't see any paper tags like you showed, but I was able to capture a few pics off of the Mecum website as examples. [You have to be a registered bidder to access it.] Anyway, everything sold because bidding started at $5 for all items. And I was really pleased to have won the bowling ball bag in the last picture. It's now in my trunk, holding jumpers, tools, and spare parts.

View attachment 297016 View attachment 297017
This was weird. It's a "name and phone number" contacts keyfob. Clever idea for back then, but I'm glad I have my iPhone....
View attachment 297018 View attachment 297019 View attachment 297020 View attachment 297021
View attachment 297022

Thanks, I have an original Plymouth Heart key chain and another original Chrysler Plymouth key chain. I'm really looking for a dealer inventory key chain from the era. It would have been cool to check out that auction though. Congrats on the bowling ball bag. That's a very cool accessory.

I highly doubt the modern stuff in much different from 50 years ago....
Key Tags - Auto Tech & Niles Marketing LLC

Thanks, I'm thinking they were probably paper and, unfortunately I'm OCD. That will work for my 2002 Chrysler 300m Pro Am but for my 69 Fury, If I can't find a period correct, I'll do without. I like collecting that stuff so it has to be original.

I may get one of these because they're paper, thanks for the link.

upload_2019-6-25_5-32-15.png

None of those promotional key tags are remotely close to what was used on the keys from the factory, somewhere I have one from a 73 Plymouth, need to find it.

Alan
Thanks, please post a pic if you find it.

This is a picture I found on the internet, the one I have looks a lot like it, black not green, maybe a different layout.

I have no idea if it was a factory thing or a dealer, it had no Mopar/Chrysler markings on it.
thumbnail.jpg

Personally I don't think there were any tags other than maybe the key code tags.

Alan

I went on a search in the basement, and came up with a couple examples.

One is from our 1970 Newport convertible that my father bought in the fall of 1971. My dad was interested in old and collector cars, and was always a Chrysler guy. Anyway, his buddy, a car salesman. gave my dad a call when this car was traded in, and he bought it. It mostly sat, and now has about 42k on the odometer. Never winter driven or restored, all original. I'll post better pics of it this summer. ANYWAY, the tag is from the extra set of keys from the original selling dealer.

The second one is from my 1979 Volare Road Runner that I bought new when I got out of high school. That car is also in the garage, and I have babied it too, for 40 years.

The back side of both tags are blank, and I imagine there were a number of companies selling them, all generally the same.

I think it would be easy to make and print a copy of a tag on a computer.

More (and better) pics of the Newport this summer, including scans of invoices, window sticker, etc., I promise 297371[/ATTACH]
1970 Key Tag.JPG
1970 Newport.JPG

1979 Key Tag.JPG

1979 Road Runner 3.JPG

I went on a search in the basement, and came up with a couple examples.

One is from our 1970 Newport convertible that my father bought in the fall of 1971. My dad was interested in old and collector cars, and was always a Chrysler guy. Anyway, his buddy, a car salesman. gave my dad a call when this car was traded in, and he bought it. It mostly sat, and now has about 42k on the odometer. Never winter driven or restored, all original. I'll post better pics of it this summer. ANYWAY, the tag is from the extra set of keys from the original selling dealer.

The second one is from my 1979 Volare Road Runner that I bought new when I got out of high school. That car is also in the garage, and I have babied it too, for 40 years.

The back side of both tags are blank, and I imagine there were a number of companies selling them, all generally the same.

I think it would be easy to make and print a copy of a tag on a computer.

More (and better) pics of the Newport this summer, including scans of invoices, window sticker, etc., I promise 297371[/ATTACH] View attachment 297370 View attachment 297371

View attachment 297372

View attachment 297373

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. My assumption was that they would have been heavy stock paper, my main question was if there was a plastic sleve in that era. I believe not now.

BTW, those are both great cars, please post more pics of both. Obviously the 70 Newport Vert that never saw winter is exceptional but I also love the late 70's early 80's Road Runners, R/T's and Super Coupes. I applaud your maturity with the 79 RR, I wish I had some of the cars I had when I was that age.

Nabco paper key tag.PNG
A quick search of the internet and the Nabco key tags are still available. Thanks everyone, especially @Love Shack :thumbsup:

I found these Key fobs and container in a 66 Chrysler glove compartment I bought for parts. No idea as to why it was there as i think these fobs were newer than 66. I think the dealership it came from is a defunct dealership from Pandora Colorado but could be wrong.

100_8526.JPG

100_8527.JPG

100_8528.JPG

Sorry not quite 100% specific to the spare key tags, but period style dealer key fob.
I found one of the original key Fobs that came with my car that I am using now. Most likely a dealer promotional item.
The exact leather original that came with the car in 1970 which I used through college was lost in the late ‘80s early ‘90s when I parked the car. However when I was digging through some junk drawers when my dad was moving I found a spare that had never been used. This was our home town dealer that dad bought the ‘68 Polara from in 1970.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back