Decent steering gear rebuild?

Jon O.

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a decent place to buy a steering gear (72 Newport) or rebuild? I have heard that the ones on rockauto are no good. I don't want firmfeel, I want the original true steering.

I got one from Rockauto last year for my '71 GTX and it was from Lares.Very Good and done in USA !

When dealing with Rockauto you usually have a choice of vendors. Cardone is the one you want to stay away from. I think their idea of a rebuild is to clean and paint the unit, put it in a new box and call it remanufactured. Also check to see if in your area there is a shop that rebuilds them. Good luck.

I just installed a Firm Feel Inc. power steering box. Firm Feel Inc. Steering and Suspension for Chrysler Plymouth & Dodge

Pricey, but amazing. These boxes are hand made (hand rebuilt I should say) so it took nearly two months to arrive after I ordered it. The good news is that I've never felt a Mopar box like this, even when my parent's 71 Fury was brand new. They also supply correct pressure hose and other steering parts you may need. And they know what they're talking about, so no worries about ordering the wrong parts when you give 'em a call.

I just installed a Firm Feel Inc. power steering box. Firm Feel Inc. Steering and Suspension for Chrysler Plymouth & Dodge

Pricey, but amazing. These boxes are hand made (hand rebuilt I should say) so it took nearly two months to arrive after I ordered it. The good news is that I've never felt a Mopar box like this, even when my parent's 71 Fury was brand new. They also supply correct pressure hose and other steering parts you may need. And they know what they're talking about, so no worries about ordering the wrong parts when you give 'em a call.
WOW pricey you ain't kidding! After I do the "Preventive maintenance" timing gear, this and brakes are my next step.

WOW pricey you ain't kidding!

Well, in the very-high-performance motorcycle world, we don't buy cheapo Shinko brand tires for a good reason. Our contact patch with the pavement is the merely the size of a quarter, so we put our trust in the three-times-as-expensive Michelin Pilot Powers (or the Pirelli Diablos). Our lives depend upon pricey.

I'm not saying a Rocky box isn't any good, it's just that we've seen some real junk from the big re-manufacturers, especially offshore. A recent article in Muscle Machines (for a Chevelle rebuild) had them making three trips to their AdvancedZoneReilly store until they got a box that was right with proper "center" and feel and tightness. That's also three installs/removals.....just sayin'.

"You pays your monies and you takes your choices." [Mark Twain, 1884]

Yeah ive read about a lot of returns too. I do try to save for better parts, and i think this is a situaton where i should.

I got one from Rockauto last year for my '71 GTX and it was from Lares.Very Good and done in USA !

x2 on Lares. You might also be able to deal direct and send them your unit and have them rebuild it. I have steering boxes on two other vehicles from them, plus a Lares rebuilt pump in my NYB.

Only use Cardone parts if you want them to fail before they're installed.

I got a better price thru Rockauto than directly with Lares. Shipping and Core Return shipping was better thru RA. Been happy with Lares rebuilds.

I got a better price thru Rockauto than directly with Lares. Shipping and Core Return shipping was better thru RA. Been happy with Lares rebuilds.

I got a Lares rebuilt one through Rockauto too. Core return was easy (shipping label was included) and quick refund. Works great, no problems. I've also had Firm Feel rebuild one. It was good too, just more $$ and longer turn around. I prefer the stock boost setting too.

It’s good to know that these Lares units are working well for you guys. Anyone have a negative report? (Hope not)

As for boost settings, I went with Stage 1 as per FF’s recommendation. It takes a little force to turn the wheel now instead of spinning it with your pinky. Stage 2 (and definitely 3) are too firm and responsive for our big cars.

It’s good to know that these Lares units are working well for you guys. Anyone have a negative report? (Hope not)

As for boost settings, I went with Stage 1 as per FF’s recommendation. It takes a little force to turn the wheel now instead of spinning it with your pinky. Stage 2 (and definitely 3) are too firm and responsive for our big cars.
I like the factory easy steering, so I will probably use Lares.

Back