Defogger switch location on 300L

Kevin Mulholland

Reaction score
Working through a dashboard/electical restoration for my 300L (pics coming soon), it was originally equiped with a rear defogger but the system has been totally removed-from the fuse block on out. My goal is to replace it as it was but I'm unsure of where the switch was originally located. There is a quarter sized hole on the underside of the dashpad, next to the map light assembly, is that where it was located?

Last edited:
1662648546880.png

Great! Thanks for the help. Now to figure out the mystery hole on the underside of the dash pad by the map light/antenna. I'm wondering if they didn't swap out dash pads. I've seen picks of convertibles with a dial/switch in that location-maybe for the top lift motor. I'll get some pics posted tonight when I get off work.

Possibly for a rear seat speaker/reverb switch... but typically those were usually down on the lower dash frame, under the radio area... your forthcoming pics will help.

Possibly for a rear seat speaker/reverb switch... but typically those were usually down on the lower dash frame, under the radio area... your forthcoming pics will help.
I have a 65 Newport. The hole by the map light is for the rear speaker fader. The painted metal panel that screws into the dash (below the column) is where the defog switch was, to the left. Chrome bezel saying DEFOG and switch.

Sounds like a nicely optioned car !
Tim

Thanks for the information! I've posted a pic below of the opening and others. The speaker fader dial makes sense. It did come with a golden tone radio option. Restoration is coming along nicely-a few bumps here and there but that's par for the course. The car does have a lot of options, including a four way power driver seat-which still works! I've got the vacuum system functional again-the doors, linkage, and accuator rods were intact-just gummy, new squirrel cage, blower motor, and vent tube. Got the dash clock working, replaced the ignition switch, nos gas gauge, new voltage regulator, new capacitor, and replaced a lot of wiring. New heater hoses routed over the valve cover and alternator. Going to rebuild the carb, power window motors, and tackle the factory a/c next.
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

Good work, Kevin! Your efforts will be rewarded!
Which picture shows the defogger location?

Glad you dash is getting some work
I did the same thing in 2017 with my 70 Fury vert
Went from this
D6.jpg

DSCN8959.JPG

To this
d18.jpg

D19.jpg

Excellent work!. The defogger switch location is on the pan under the steering column. I've dropped then pan for better access. Hopefully I'll finish it up soon and post the after pics.

Back