Defroster help

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a'69 chrysler 300 convertible. Have the dash frame completely out to repair dash pad, paint frame, fix vacuum lines etc.

Reinstalling the heater core and inside heater box, i notice there is about a 1" gap between the heater box outlet for the defroster and the defroster tubes under the windshield.
It was like that when i took everything out. I assumed it was just an alignment problem. However, the box and all are back in correctly and i still have a gap.

Is this a normal scene or is something missing? The service manual shows the opening for defrost air in the heat box but shows nothing for the defrost tubes. Any ideas appreciated.

Gap looks like something was removed as both heater box and defroster ducts have flanges.

IMG_20230211_164645034.jpg

Very possibly a short section of flexible ducting. Until you might find that item, might use some cardboard and duct tape to close the gap? Might check the hvac illustrations in the '69 Chrysler parts book?

I think youre right. The service manual, nor the parts manual list the defrost duct. Only the heater box and its parts. There was a lot of foam gasket type stuff crumbled and rotten when i took the dash out.

Yeah, you cant see the vents from there. The duct that brings heat out the center of the dash had a hue foam gasket. It was 1" thick and hid enough to cover the exhaust vent. I mad one just like it for the defrost

Back