Delco self exciting alternator

Forward Look Forum

1. goodneighbour

goodneighbour Well-Known Member

Has anyone tossed the generator and all the related bs in favor of a self exciting internalally regulated alternator? Just a thought, save bolting a voltage regulator on the firewall and all the wires that go with it.

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I guess it would depend on what type you intend to use. Most of the mounting hardware is going to be different so keep that in mind. GM made a first generation internally regulated unit in the early '70's and the were a popular choice with hot rodders of the day because they were an easy install. Problem was that the voltage regulator inside the unit was a POS. It was easily fried by jump starting the car or if there was a loose connection for a battery cable or the hot lead to the alternator. The later units were upgraded and were much better protected. That having been said, Taking apart the whole alternator to replace a dead regulator is still a PIA.

Dave

3. goodneighbour

goodneighbour Well-Known Member

I was going with a old style alternator, the same as my Oliver 770. I'm prepared for the bracket fab, using the mopar brackets as a reference for the tape measure.

4. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

I think the '68 Pontiacs had an internally-regulated Delco alternator? As other GM brands still had the external regulator?

I think the Delco units are more versatile due to their different output levels for different applications. Some with smaller pulleys than others, too. Usually durable units, in general.

CBODY67

5. Kapt

Kapt New Member

I use a GM one wire alternator on my 60 Dart. Works like a charm

• Like Like x 1