Delco self exciting alternator

Forward Look Forum

1. goodneighbour

goodneighbour Well-Known Member

Has anyone tossed the generator and all the related bs in favor of a self exciting internalally regulated alternator? Just a thought, save bolting a voltage regulator on the firewall and all the wires that go with it.

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I guess it would depend on what type you intend to use. Most of the mounting hardware is going to be different so keep that in mind. GM made a first generation internally regulated unit in the early '70's and the were a popular choice with hot rodders of the day because they were an easy install. Problem was that the voltage regulator inside the unit was a POS. It was easily fried by jump starting the car or if there was a loose connection for a battery cable or the hot lead to the alternator. The later units were upgraded and were much better protected. That having been said, Taking apart the whole alternator to replace a dead regulator is still a PIA.

Dave

3. goodneighbour

goodneighbour Well-Known Member

I was going with a old style alternator, the same as my Oliver 770. I'm prepared for the bracket fab, using the mopar brackets as a reference for the tape measure.

4. CBODY67

CBODY67 Senior Member

I think the '68 Pontiacs had an internally-regulated Delco alternator? As other GM brands still had the external regulator?

I think the Delco units are more versatile due to their different output levels for different applications. Some with smaller pulleys than others, too. Usually durable units, in general.

CBODY67