Deleting a/c compressor

MKTSC

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam and I've read a lot of threads on the topic, however I'm still stumped.

Car is a '67 Fury with a smog 400. My intent was to delete the a/c compressor and remove all associated components to clean up the engine bay.

I purchased this alternator bracket from Bouchillon Performance:
BPE B/RB Engine Alt. Mounting Bracket Kit (Black Finish) - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

and this non-a/c water pump pulley from 440 source: Water Pump Pulley - Non A/C - New Reproduction-440 Source

The issue I'm having is the depth and diameter of the water pump pulley. It's too deep and actually touches the bolts on the water pump, as well as also being too wide in diameter hitting the crank pulley. I'm not interested in replacing every pulley on the engine, just the necessary one (water pump).

I know these came in several flavors and varieties, does anyone know the correct one?

33530347751_35f586de59_b.jpg

33659726805_059c667782_b.jpg

Last edited:
LMAO. Kinda figured.

I was able to find a pulley on ebay that was almost 1" less depth. That's probably it. Just didn't know how many iterations of the pulley there were and why my non-ac pulley from 440 source was too deep...

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam and I've read a lot of threads on the topic, however I'm still stumped.

Car is a '67 Fury with a smog 400. My intent was to delete the a/c compressor and remove all associated components to clean up the engine bay.

BPE B/RB Engine Alt. Mounting Bracket Kit (Black Finish) - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

and this non-a/c water pump pulley from 440 source: Water Pump Pulley - Non A/C - New Reproduction-440 Source

The issue I'm having is the depth and diameter of the water pump pulley. It's too deep and actually touches the bolts on the water pump, as well as also being too wide in diameter hitting the crank pulley. I'm not interested in replacing every pulley on the engine, just the necessary one (water pump).

I know these came in several flavors and varieties, does anyone know the correct one?

This is probably the way you want to go. I've used a 440 4 groove crank pulley and changed the alt and PS pulley to double groove. You have a 3 groove pulley so you'll probably do best to buy the other two unless they can be made to line up with spacers. The water pump pulley is 5 /1/2 the PS pulley 4 1/2. That's measured as groove depth. You can use a straight edge to get the pulley depth when searching for one. I prefer double groove to prevent belt slippage.

016.JPG

Keep in mind that 400 and 440 pulleys and brackets are different. You'll have to find out from the vendor which pulley will work....hopefully they can tell you which one will work for your application.

Actually, the problem with the pulley hitting the bolts is the water pump itself. I ran into this same issue after I changed a pump and it looks like they either press the drive on too far or the housing is too short, or a stack up of both. I ended up shimming the pulley out a little to clear the bolts and line up better with the other pulleys.

As far as it hitting the bottom pulley, any water pump pulley that is that depth is going to be close to the same diameter.

I hate to say it, but you are going to have to change the lower pulley too. What you have there is a lower pulley that is set up to run your A/C with a double belt and use an idler pulley etc. The diameters match those accessories and really aren't going to play well with a simpler setup.

Keep in mind when looking for a lower pulley that your engine will not have the offset bolt pattern.

The 400 engine is a "B" engine, (like a 383). A 440 is an "RB" engine.
Only difference is the deck height. 440 RB being a taller deck height. This has nothing to do with pulley depth. However as far as the mount brackets go, you will need to get alternator brackets for a B engine

So my PS pump lines up with the second groove from the end of my 4 groove crank pulley. If I have to buy another crank pulley that's fine, I just want to make sure I get the right set of pulleys.

Any known good solutions? Maybe I'll just call Bouchillon or 440 Source and ask what they suggest.

This is way harder than it needs to be. Looking top down, looks like the back two grooves on the crank pulley are too far back relative to the water pump, and any pulley would have to sit far enough back where the pulley would interfere with the water pump bolts.

What a pain in the ***...

[QUOTE="MKTSC,
Any known good solutions? QUOTE]

Find a compete non A/C parts car and strip all the brackets & pulley's. Some one here should have what you need.

The non A/C alt brackets move the alternator a bit relative to the A/C pulleys.

A non A/C alternator is a single groove alt as well. You can use one of your double grooves on existing pulley. Ideally you need a non A/C.crank pulley, and a non A/C water pump pulley to go withbthe non A/C alternator brackets. I believe the PS pump and brackets are the same with A/C and without A/C. I'd love to help you find what your looking for but living in the southwest everything in our boneyards are A/C. A car without A/C is an anomaly here.

Back