Detroit Muscle Technologies (DMT) 69 Polara Parts

MrMoparCHP

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Here is a case of a vendor working with you on something that they may not currently offer.

A little while back I sent DMT a bunch of parts to make new seals for. I sent pretty much everything from bumper to bumper, the AC box was the primary item I needed but pretty much needed everything. I initially contacted them about just buying raw material so I could make the items needed but turned it into them tooling up the parts. We need to give them a lot of credit for taking this on both for the time and financial investment.

I should be seeing the first set of parts this week and will report back.
Some of the items being done:
Firewall insulation, both the yellow stuff and the jute.
Kick panel insulation.
Firewall seals for steering column, brake, and gas pedal.
Front turn light seals
Taillight seals

http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291319673678

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361144833813

This is a lot of work and I'm not sure if he is ready for a flood of request but it never hurts to ask.

Alan

I want to give him kudos only.
I asked him for splash shields for my 76 NYB.
He didn't have such a product yet but he offered me enough material to make my own in exchange for my old 7 piece (Yes. Seven!) shields. Great guy!!!

Now if I can find someone to send me pics of theirs on their car, I can remember where and how all seven are mounted. Lol.

Posted via Topify on Android

I like to keep things positive, DMT is basically a one man band, he may have a staff to handle orders but all development is himself. One problem is that he has a day job that has him away from home. Yea I did send him my stuff a year ago but I did so with no expectation of time.

We’re stuck between a rock and a hard place on stuff like this, you need the parts and there isn’t really an option. The good thing is most of what he did hear will work on probably all 69-73 C-Body cars.

I also gave him a list of body plugs and bumpers so that those could be added to his catalog as a kit so you are not forced into buying kits for other cars and hop you can get what you need.

Alan

In a conversation he said the biggest problem is the cost of making dies to stamp out his products. Hard to tool up ($$) for an item he might get only a few calls for

Yes, he did say that he has already invested over a $1000 in steel rule die tooling.
I don't doubt he'll make his money back on this, maybe not as quick as other cars.

Alan

Sidebar:
I've been working with Dave at Restoration Specialties on (wait for this)......
Roof rail seals for Formal 4 dr. hardtops.
Talked to him this morning to tell me he can now return the set I gave him.
Everything's done (laser measurements, etc).
Now, as above, he has to put the $$ into the tooling and dies.
Maybe a few phone calls from other Formal owners will motivate him to dig into his pocket.
Hopefully... :D

I've worked with Jim at DMT in the past, good guy who is always open to suggestion. I sent him a steering column seal off my 65 Coronet 500 that he did not have in his catalog. He offered one for a column shift car but not the floor shift version. same part without the hole so it was easy for him to produce it. He sent me one free.

I also saw him recently at Big daddys mopar show in Ocala fl. He is producing console top woodgrain transfer kits which, while they look great, are not correct for Cbodys. (I have one of his grain kits in Jazebelle). He's going to look into locating the correct type material, (brushed aluminum), to produce using the same dies. I told him i'd buy one and he might make some other Cbody guys happy too. If anyone needs this kit, send him a note.

Sidebar:
I've been working with Dave at Restoration Specialties on (wait for this)......
Roof rail seals for Formal 4 dr. hardtops.
Talked to him this morning to tell me he can now return the set I gave him.
Everything's done (laser measurements, etc).
Now, as above, he has to put the $$ into the tooling and dies.
Maybe a few phone calls from other Formal owners will motivate him to dig into his pocket.
Hopefully... :D

I notified him the same day last year that I would be interested in 2 sets......not even a response back!

Their A arm covers for a 70 Polara are not correct. They fit but are wrong. My 71 A arm covers however were spot on

DMT sells these two.

MOPAR 69-72 C Body A Arm Torsion Bar Rubber Splash Shields Fender Seal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361230415050
69-72.JPG

and
MOPAR 65-68 C Body A Arm Torsion Bar Rubber Splash Shields Fender Seal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290723527343
65-68.JPG

Mine are too far gone to compare so are either of these correct for the years listed?

Alan

69-72.JPG

65-68.JPG

Then they need a third because the top is what they sent and it's different than what was there.... by a bit

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't they sell one for the Chrysler also? When ordering I recall there were two to choose from for those years

Just the other day I received the firewall insulation from DMT, this should be the same for all the 69-73 fuselage cars with AC.
Also included are the two pieces that go on the kick panels and a-pillars.
insulation-01.jpg

insulation-02.jpg

I hope to be installing them this weekend.

Alan

insulation-01.jpg

insulation-02.jpg

Back