Did the 68 300 convertable get multiple rear speakers when equiped w/ the stereo radio?

Can't help you out, I didn't even realize that a stereo was an option in '68. A simple FM radio was pretty rare in '66.

No rear seat speaker with the stereo option. Code 426 only available with 422 or 425

68_Chrysler0004.jpg

Ah, ok. So with stereo system no rear speaker at all. That'd would be a bummer! Though not that the single center speaker in our 300 vert is anything to write home about.

Now the 5-speaker multiplex stereo that was in our 68 New Yorker actually had pretty decent sound

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Sure they didn’t just wire both l&r channels to a single rear speaker?
Our 68 Charger was wired this way since it also had the rear defog option taking the right speaker opng. This car had a jumper wire right at the rear fader switch.

image.jpeg
My '68 300 vert came with AM/FM search tune radio with the floor button near the high beam switch, front and center rear speaker with a fade switch. The catalogue states there is a AM/FM Multiplex radio. With up to 5 speakers. "Up to". Maybe if the stereo option was available on a convertible, it came with 4? 3 on the dash, one in the center of the seat. The posted picture of the '68 300 dash from the catalogue, it shows how the stereo speakers were mounted to the dash.

1968 was the first year for Chrysler multiplex AM/FM radios in C-bodies. The "base" speaker set-up would have been the center front speaker and two other speakers, one on each side of the upper instrument panel (as pictured). A right channel, left channel, and derived center channel.

As the convertibles only had the provision for the center rear speaker and no side trim panel speakers, it would make sense for NO rear speakers on the multiplex-equipped convertibles, just the three front speakers.

In the case of the closed cars (sedans and hardtops), the three front speakers were joined by a pair of rear speakers, which were connected through a dual-channel fader mechanism. Same basic configuration that was used until the 1974 C-bodies came out.

The AM/FM Search-Tuner radio, which would be "mono" only, would have had the normal center front and center rear speakers with a front/rear fader. On the closed cars, it would probably have used the rear deck location? But it would have been easy to wire in two 6x9 package tray panel rear speakers instead of just one. On the cars without the rear seat heater. Being there were two 6x9 holes already back there.

One reason the center-rear speaker would not sound too good would be the fact that it lacked any sort of "enclosure" to aim the sound forward, I suspect. Basically making it an open-air speaker, of sorts.

By observation, Chrysler multiplex/stereo radios typically had better sound quality and frequency response than anything Ford or GM had back then. Hands down! Even with the low-power amps they had back then.

Out '66 Newport Town Sedan, being a "Basic Group" car, had the factory rear speaker in it, driven by the AM radio. One speaker up front, one in the rear deck. I got a factory rear speaker accessory kit and wired in the second speaker back there. As with the later factory stereos, even the AM radio and factory speakers sounded much better than any Ford or GM car I had been in--period. I checked the frequency response with a test record on my home stereo and they would go to 10KHz and easily down to 100Hz, just sitting in open air without an enclosure. I was impressed that they were that good. Plus the beefy wiring they came with.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Chrysler really did care about their engineering.

I read somewhere that my AAR had a rear mounted antenna because they found out in `69 that the fiberglass hoods would allow the ignition to play heck with radio reception. Don’t know if that was true or not but it sounded good when I read it.

Chrysler really did care about their engineering.
Which is why Chrysler used Delco for Multiplex AM/FM Stereo radios, and GM tilt/tele steering columns for years.
My 83 RamCharger had a GM tilt column as well.. BTW. :poke::D

Which is why Chrysler used Delco for Multiplex AM/FM Stereo radios, and GM tilt/tele steering columns for years.
They did switch to Motorola but I'm not sure when, my 71 Fury had Motorola. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also think Chrysler used GM power steering pumps in many cars

Chrysler used Motorolas on various models going waaay back.
My Monaco has a Motorola unit.
Around 75 Chrysler started making their own radios since they already had an extensive electronics division in Huntsville.

Can't help you out, I didn't even realize that a stereo was an option in '68. A simple FM radio was pretty rare in '66.

My dad ordered our 1967 Fury III with an AM/FM stereo radio, so I know they were available at least in 1967, too. I have wished many times that I had taken a moment to pull that radio before we sent it to the junkyard. :BangHead:

And all the big three used Chrysler's New Process Gear transfer cases for all their four wheel drive trucks back in the day....

Back