Did they ever make a Formal 4-door hardtop without vinyl roof?

dkTNoooh.jpg

I kind of question that.....

I have the Chrysler data and paint & trim books for 1974, 1975, and 1978 and have never found a vinyl delete code option anywhere. I sure would like to see a data plate(s) and build sheet on one these cars without vinyl.

Bob, you are forgetting that my NYB was ordered without a vinyl roof and was delivered as such The lady who ordered it chose not to get the factory vinyl because she didn't like the colors so she instead had the dealer install one with the color of her choosing.
Also remember she now lives in my town and I can get a sworn affadavit if necessary. Lmao...

ByVblgq.jpg

78-Newport-New_Yorker_0009.jpg

I'm standing with Annie who ordered the car in 1975 and whom I bought it from.
ZuF0Gnuh.jpg

I believe you Stan. I'm trying to figure out how the assembly guys did this...Is there a vinyl roof code or a delete code on your fender tag or build sheet? Every Formal I have ever seen had the vinyl code on the fender tag or build sheet. The guys on the assembly line had to have some kind of roof code to go by or the damn roof didn't get any paint. I'm just trying to figure out how these dang cars were put together....there had to be a lot of changes with the trim and studs deleted on the assembly line. Is the trim any different because of fitment without the vinyl. I would think that if the trim would be the same it wouldn't fit properly and tight especially around the rear window. Can we see a picture of your fender tag.......this is driving me nuts.

There wouldn't be a delete code i think, as the absence of the V1 full vinyl roof code would tell the plant that this car has paint, not vinyl.

Cars like some of my Lincoln's "did" have delete codes, Chrysler appear not to have them in at least this case.

It's possible this car was pulled from the line and had the roof painted, then again wouldn't all cars have painted roofs and vinyl was applied afterwards, would seem to make for a better "flow" through the paintshop.

The present condition of my 78 NYB would be so much better if it didn't have that damn vinyl. It is suppose to be blue but has deteriorated so much it looks black.

NY'er r~rear.jpg

NY'er r~rear.jpg

There wouldn't be a delete code i think, as the absence of the V1 full vinyl roof code would tell the plant that this car has paint, not vinyl.

Cars like some of my Lincoln's "did" have delete codes, Chrysler appear not to have them in at least this case.

It's possible this car was pulled from the line and had the roof painted, then again wouldn't all cars have painted roofs and vinyl was applied afterwards, would seem to make for a better "flow" through the paintshop.
In two Formals that I have pulled the vinyl off of, the roofs did not have the finish paint.

No paint is probably cost cutting and may have something to do with the glue adhering the vinyl to the metal.

While we are on the subject, I have never decoded my tag.
I tried the on-line decoders but they never worked for this tag.
Kind of a moot point seeing as how I have the Assembly Sheet but can someone decode this for me anyway. I am terrible at decoding tags.
Thanks.
o42uHof.jpg

M45 Fender skirts
K7E
P51
P31 Power Windows
P41 Power Door Locks
N88 Cruise Control
LA2 No Vinyl/Roof Paint
H53 Automatic Temp Control
L31
L81
L35 Cornering Lights
E85 440
D36 727
CS43 4 Door Hardtop
T6C Jefferson Plant
PDE7
C08 March 8, 1976

H53

In two Formals that I have pulled the vinyl off of, the roofs did not have the finish paint.

Correct...they did not paint under the vinyl...another reason why they rusted easily under there.

M45 Fender skirts
K7E
P51
P31 Power Windows
P41 Power Door Locks
N88 Cruise Control
LA2 No Vinyl/Roof Paint
H53 Automatic Temp Control
L31
L81
L35 Cornering Lights
E85 440