Difference between B and C body consoles

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
What are the differences (if any) between the center consoles in 66-70 B and C bodies? I can get a console out of a B body but want to know it will work. I've never seem them compared side by side, just one at a time. Mounting holes, shape, whatever? Any help appreciated.

I've always suspected they were the same but never had the need to look. I just checked the 69 parts manual and they are the same for B and C bodies but different for A bodies. There is a difference between Auto and Manual trans also.

A body Barracuda and Dart are unique part numbers but B and C are the same part number. The one from the B body should work fine.

console part numbers.png

I've always suspected they were the same but never had the need to look. I just checked the 69 parts manual and they are the same for B and C bodies but different for A bodies. There is a difference between Auto and Manual trans also.

A body Barracuda and Dart are unique part numbers but B and C are the same part number. The one from the B body should work fine.

View attachment 108038

Awesome, thank you.

I know for my '66 300 the lid and top are the same structure, but on my 300 the background is painted black, but it is all chrome in the B or the repop.

console 1.sm.jpg

For a '65, I believe the B Body console has a chrome strip that runs the center of the lid. On C Body console, it is interior color with an embossed stitch pattern.

Look the same but there are differences. I replaced mine in my 68. The plastic was longer going down on the drivers side. There is trimming to be done but will look ok. Mounts the same tho.

Very pretty. I learned something new. Didn't know they were painted in 300's. Do you know if all C bodies with that finish were painted?
I'll ask my friend to take a peek at the one he pulled out of a 68 300. Never even thought about it.

The console out of the 68 300 has wood style tops. I need to find out what top I should have in a 66 Polara, smooth or ribbed. I only have one pic of a 66 Polara and it's small and grainy so it doesn't help. Looks smooth but can't be sure. I have a pic of a 66 Monaco 500 and it is a smooth top. See what I find with more digging.

I would love to have the wood one back in my 68. I put a new 67 ribbed one in because no one makes the correct 68 one. I kept my original on in the hope someone will reproduce the inlay. I bought the a "new" b body chrome one. Looks great but bugs me wasn't the correct one. However there are so many thing changed on my car guess it really doesn't matter.

I'll have to find the correct ribbed top plates, but I'll have 2 sets of the simulated wood tops to sell.

I cheated on mine. I have a great vinyl guy. He mimic the look with a vinyl overlay, if anyone has noticed they are polite and don't mention it to me. I was actually very happy with the results.

I actually tried to restore mine first and failed miserably. The problem was the ribs where really beat up, so you couldn't get clean black shadow lines.

IMG_7261.JPG

Anybody have a 4 door 300 or NY column shift with console? Was a rare option up until 67 or 68 I believe. I would be good to document one on the site.

For a '65, I believe the B Body console has a chrome strip that runs the center of the lid. On C Body console, it is interior color with an embossed stitch pattern.
Actually that stitching is for 300 (or any Chrysler?) and 300L has a cloisonné emblem on the console lid also.
65 Plymouth has chrome trim with a double-bevel shape, and no cig lighter (or maybe that was optional?).
I don't know about 65 Dodge overall, but the 65 Monaco 500 full-length console I have has flat trim with a black-painted groove in it, which runs to the ashtray at the rear seat.

Everything I've found for my 66 Polara shows a smooth silver top with a painted black outer lip. Are the tops with the wood applique smooth under the wood, and can I easily remove the wood with a heat gun and nylon scrapper? Or is the smooth silver section an insert as well, and that is what I need? Both my tops with wood have the holes for a vacuum gauge (or whatever gauge) cast/drilled in them, that's what got me thinking about the silver being an insert. I have a number for the top but can't remember it and won't be able to get it til tomorrow.

DSC00171.JPG
DSC00179.JPG
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00179.JPG
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00179.JPG
I would love to have the wood one back in my 68. I put a new 67 ribbed one in because no one makes the correct 68 one. I kept my original on in the hope someone will reproduce the inlay. I bought the a "new" b body chrome one. Looks great but bugs me wasn't the correct one. However there are so many thing changed on my car guess it really doesn't matter.
does it look like this? look close at the pattern

Back