Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hey folks.

Unused (base has scrapes from handling, cover nearly mint), unsilenced, no PVC pipe, no wing nut, Direct Connection Air cleaner.

Anybody know this product? Vintage roughly? Desirable or meh?

Thanks.

IMG_9712.jpg
IMG_9715.jpg
IMG_9713.jpg
IMG_9714.jpg

Hmm, I could be interested in that, I have no idea what it might be worth. Direct Connection changed its name to Mopar Performance in 1987, so I would say its pre 87.

There not worth anything, throw it in the trash, my trash! Cool piece, I loved the sound of an unsilenced air cleaner in my 87 B250, it howled!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I got this piece in a car deal a few years back. If anybody NOT interested in it has any price advice, I'd appreciate it.

Anyone serious about it, PM me and we can see if we can figure something about.

I am gonna do some more research on it .. admittedly hard since DC is long gone. This looks like a comparable current-day MP part .. tho not unsilenced.

Mopar Performance Replacement Air Cleaners P4529002

Anyway, goes on Feebay this weekend. Thanks again for any feedback before that.

Well, judging by that Summit price your's could have a price tag of say, $175, and it (the price, LOL) would still sound reasonable.

Why is it called unsilenced? I have one on my car too, although it is an original from 1968-89.

Thx, do snorkels make it quieter, or is it just a nickname without a real meaning?

It is called an un-silenced air cleaner because the base is the same diameter as the outer edge of the air filter so that with the top on there is a gap all the way around that lets a lot of air in whereas the snorkel air cleaner lids line up and seal with the base. Look closely at the second photo and you will see space between the bottom and the edge of the chrome top. Some folks use a small diameter base with a dual snorkel air cleaner to get maximum air flow to the carburetor. I am trying to find the correct small diameter base to use with my dual snorkel and 800 CFM Edelbrock carb on my yellow '68 Sport Fury. Tried a drop down Moroso base but it does not have the right shape to fit over the carb.

I have a "small" (dont recall .. inherited it from a family member 30 years ago) and a "big" (from a 440 '68 fury cop car) block unsilenced air cleaners .. original (not for sale :) )

notice the differences between the base and the cover diameter, as FURYGT said, so that more air gets in through the gap around the complete circumfrence.

IMG_5659-1.jpg
IMG_5659-2.jpg

i have never seen an "unsilenced" air cleaner WITH snorkels .. they may exist but all I am saying i have never heard of one.

two snorkels will let in more air than one of course. dunno how two snorkels as to CFM of air compare to one snorker OR unsilenced.

I am sure "unsilenced" air cleaners ARE "louder" or at least different-sounding .. like LocuMob said they sound really cool.

Actually, the unsilenced air cleaners let more air in, and are less restrictive than the "dual snorkel", but they are louder. RE: Unslienced. And add more performance.

I have seen this technique as well to let more air in. Flipping the lid on the breather.

this set up is definitely louder .. dunno how much more performance its worth but im sure youll get some with the benefit of more air.

00-1-2-5-5.jpg

Years ago, (early 1970's), I lived 8000 ft above sea level in Colorado. Friends/family would visit from the flat lands and usually experienced overly rich fuel mixture conditions in the high elevation. I would flip their air filter housing lid upside down like this and it helped a bunch as a temporary fix.

00-1-2-5-5-jpg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back