Disc Brake Conversion 1964 New Yorker

mikedrini

Reaction score
Hello again guys,

Coincidentally enough, while deciding on what to do with my dual exhaust situation, I decided to cancel my order with SSBC for a Front Disc Brake Conversion kit (for a whopping $900+). Fact is, I placed the order on August 7th and here we are on October 12th (9 weeks later), nothing. The rep kept stringing me along, "we're waiting on one more part, one more part, etc.".

I finally had enough and cancelled the order. Long story short, I want to convert to discs in the front. Any ideas on what to go with for my 1964 New Yorker? I emailed the Scarebird guy, but he seems busy. As far as I can tell, I will need the fabricated backing plate, new bearings, calipers and pads, new brake lines.

As always, any help would be appreciated!

Mike

Hello again guys,

Coincidentally enough, while deciding on what to do with my dual exhaust situation, I decided to cancel my order with SSBC for a Front Disc Brake Conversion kit (for a whopping $900+). Fact is, I placed the order on August 7th and here we are on October 12th (9 weeks later), nothing. The rep kept stringing me along, "we're waiting on one more part, one more part, etc.".

I finally had enough and cancelled the order. Long story short, I want to convert to discs in the front. Any ideas on what to go with for my 1964 New Yorker? I emailed the Scarebird guy, but he seems busy. As far as I can tell, I will need the fabricated backing plate, new bearings, calipers and pads, new brake lines.

As always, any help would be appreciated!

Mike

You will also need the correct master cylinder and brake booster. Your single clamp type booster will not work very well with discs, that type of booster does not put out enough boost on hard stops when you really need it. I would suggest converting to a split brake type master cylinder and bendix dual diaphragm booster. You will also need the split brake distribution block and the correct brake hoses. Most C-Bodies ran 11" front discs, so be sure to order calipers for 11" brakes as they are different form the 10" ones. You may also run into brake pedal height problems with this conversion.

Dave

5th Ave spindles or any other FMJ body spindle apparently can be coaxed into working in that application. You need the early B-body style Cordoba caliper adapter so you can use the 11.75 Cordoba rotors.

As far as kits go ECI has a well engineered one that will allow you to use your drum brake power booster. The kit uses GM calipers that have larger pistons than Mopar ones so they need less input pressure to generate the same clamping pressure.

Engineered Components, Inc. - Your One Stop Brake Shop!

Kevin

5th Ave spindles or any other FMJ body spindle apparently can be coaxed into working in that application. You need the early B-body style Cordoba caliper adapter so you can use the 11.75 Cordoba rotors.

As far as kits go ECI has a well engineered one that will allow you to use your drum brake power booster. The kit uses GM calipers that have larger pistons than Mopar ones so they need less input pressure to generate the same clamping pressure.

Kevin

Thanks, I probably should have further clarified..my New Yorker has power brakes with a dual master cylinder, but that's great input. I'll start looking.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

After looking into the FMJ spindles, I don't see where the lower ball joint attaches on the spindle. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but my 64 spindle has a bolt hole at the top of the spindle for the upper control arm and a bolt hole on the bottom for the lower control arm and the steering arm attaches to the back of the spindle.

The FMJ spindles only have the top bolt hole, so I am confused about where the lower control arm would attach. Again, thanks for your help, I am a newbie at this and I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I find it hard to believe I would be the only person to convert front drums to discs on a 64 New Yorker.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

After looking into the FMJ spindles, I don't see where the lower ball joint attaches on the spindle. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but my 64 spindle has a bolt hole at the top of the spindle for the upper control arm and a bolt hole on the bottom for the lower control arm and the steering arm attaches to the back of the spindle.

The FMJ spindles only have the top bolt hole, so I am confused about where the lower control arm would attach. Again, thanks for your help, I am a newbie at this and I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I find it hard to believe I would be the only person to convert front drums to discs on a 64 New Yorker.

I've not done it myself but I believe you use the fmj lower ball joint assembly which incorporates the steering arm and it bolts to the spindle. The ball joint attaches to the lower control arm.

One of the guys on Moparts did it on a 62 which should be the same as your 64. I think his username is Therocks.

Kevin

Back