Disc Brake conversion

Cazman

Reaction score
There is a same year c body being parted out near me that has disc brakes. I have power drum. I have read a few threads about the front disc brake conversion, but still not sure what components I need to take to complete the conversion. Obviously, I will grab the spindle, rotor, and caliper. From what I read, I may need the booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve too. Is that correct? Don't know the condition, but I suspect that the spindle is the important part.

Since you are posting in the slab years, I presume this is a 68 or older, if so I agree with the guys above. The only thing you might be interested in is the dual diaphragm booster to have rebuilt. There is nothing else you would want.

Mine is a 68 300, as is the donor.

Why run? Isn't a spindle a spindle? Should I go aftermarket?

Find a 69-73 preferably a 73. 73 has the cheapest replacement rotors. The Budd system you are looking at will cost you at least $1200 for the 2 lower balljoints specific to those spindles. Rotors if you can find them will be similarly priced and having the calipers sleeved so they don't leak will be in the $200-$300 range each.

69 style uses your existing ball joints and the rest of the parts can be sourced at Rockauto or any other parts store.

If the 68 disc car still has the brake booster, grab that and run.

Kevin

You mentioned that you read up on conversions you need to read some more. I honestly don't remember the pro and cons of each set up, but I have the 73 set up which is the best if you can find the spindles and caliper brackets. The calipers, rotors and pads can be bought from several sources.

The problem with the 68 is they are budd calipers they cost a fortune to rebuild and the pads just came available I believe but cost a fortune too. No one installs them as a conversion, they are rebuilding them because they are already on their car and want to keep it orginal.

I expect you already have a booster for drum brakes since my base 1965 Newport 2 bbl does. The MC just makes line pressure, which is the same for disks and drums, but disks generally require more pressure because drum shoes are self-amplifying, so get a smaller MC bore for less pedal effort. I recall 1"D was factory for drums or disks, so 15/16" or better 7/8" would be good. Best to change to a dual MC for more safety. You can do that w/ a 2-4 bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay). I have a 95-99 Breeze ABS MC on all 3 of my old Mopars (1 C, 2 A's). Dr Diff sells plate w/ MC for ~$100, which many A-body guys use. His MC is basically the mid-1980's Dodge truck one, but offers a smaller bore. You must have a proportioning valve w/ front disks/rear drums. An adjustable one is ~$30 ebay. Adjust so the fronts skid just before the rears in a wet parking lot. I kept my drum distribution block as a tee for the fronts (plugged rear port) and ran a separate tube from MC to rears (coupler to OE rear tube).

Re "why disks?". Some say they can't stop fast enough with drums, but that is strange Physics. The tires stop the car, so if your brakes can bring them to the max braking point (just before tires skid), and equally L & R, that is the best you can do. This presumes the factory picked the rear wheel cylinders so the rear braking is also just before that threshold. Most as-found drums lack proper maintenance, so don't compare old drums w/ new disks. Drums downfall is they take longer to cool, so riding the brakes downhill (stupid), twisty roads, or stops from very high speed may cause fade (friction material melts). Otherwise, no scientific reason why drums couldn't stop a car just a fast. Don't quote braking spec's from 1960 w/ bias-ply tires. Sticky tires are how some modern muscle cars stop from 60 mph in <100 ft (saw one spec 90 ft recently).

I'd say that if you have easy access to the parts for the '68 conversion, and they're not too expensive, pick them up and decide later. THe Budd brakes those use(d) are quite good, and if you can put up with the cost/search on the correct calipers/rotors, it's worthwhile. Definitely get the correct hubcaps, they have a nice turbine look........

I have adjusted to the drums on my '67 New Yorker with no problems. I don't however, do any mountain driving, and am in town/traffic more than the open road. They might not work for everyone, but don't write them off prematurely. Before deciding for final, make sure your drum brakes are properly balanced, etc. before writing them off.

Back