Disc brake rebuild parts check

Wonderwagon

Reaction score
So maybe been posted before, if so sorry for the redundant question. Getting ready to rebuild my 69 Disc brake package read through the SF-66TC posting. Found a couple of things, the Bendix brake pads have gone away and the Raybestos calipers are only available for the left side.
So, it looks like the Raybestos PGD39M are a substitute pad, and I am going to rebuild my calipers. So could the collective look over the following parts list, yup worry wart:
wheel bearing seals- Timken 8121S
outer wheel bearing-Timken set 2/ races
inner wheel bearing-Timken set 6/ races
Caliper bushings-Raybestos H5204
disk brake pads-Raybestos PGD39M
hydraulic brake hose-Raybestos BH36756
adj proportioning valve-Allstars ALL48025
Wildwood 260-11179
guide pins-Raybestos H5005w
Spindle nuts-Doorman 04990
bleeder-Raybestos S6858
disk brake hardware-Centric 11763002
Caliper rebuild :
seal kit- Raybestos WK520
caliper piston-Raybestos DPS85016

So maybe been posted before, if so sorry for the redundant question. Getting ready to rebuild my 69 Disc brake package read through the SF-66TC posting. Found a couple of things, the Bendix brake pads have gone away and the Raybestos calipers are only available for the left side.
So, it looks like the Raybestos PGD39M are a substitute pad, and I am going to rebuild my calipers. So could the collective look over the following parts list, yup worry wart:
Wildwood 260-11179
bleeder-Raybestos S6858
Caliper rebuild :
I believe your 69 has the four piston calipers, but uses the same spindle as 1970. I will do some checking and send you a PM. Bill.

Found that out last night. Still looking to see what might interchange with newer parts.

Wildwood 260-11179
bleeder-Raybestos S6858
Caliper rebuild :

You only need 2 inner wheel bearing races. Take care when removing the bleeder screws from your calipers as they have an annoying habit of rusting up and twisting off. JC Whitney did have both sides on the calipers the last time I looked, not sure what brand they are.

Dave

Rockauto lists left and right Raybestos reman calipers if that's the brand you just have to have. I'm pretty sure it's the same 3 guys in Mexico that rebuilds all this stuff anyway no matter what name is on the box.

Can you even buy piston and seal kits for calipers anymore?

The last set I had anything to do with rebuilding was when the factory used phenolic pistons. The replacements were steel and as I recall there was at least one seal that got mangled and several volumes of profanity used in the process.

I learned that day that reman calipers are worth whatever they charge for them.

Kevin

Twostick, Pistons are steel from rockauto, seals are available as well. I'm good at explicatives, we'll think a little more about rebuilding them. So it appears that, the expanded parts list is complete, need grease for the bearings though

Last edited:
Back in the day ALL OF US mechanics rebuilt our own calipers and wheel cylinders. We even measured the bores to see if they were honed out to much. (The days before parts changer became apparent). I used to do them in about a half hour.

OK, bringing back this thread to ask about brake pads for Medina, my '71 Monaco. I understand that the Raybestos PG-D39M should work on my car, but they are out of stock at both RockAuto (no availability date mentioned) and Summit (allegedly available in 2-3 weeks). I don't see them at all from AutoZone or O'Reilly.

I have seen the PGD39M listed on eBay by just a couple of folks who have zero seller feedback, and I see some other brands claimed to work for a '71 on Napa (Napa Proformer PFB PF781M, $25.99) and on AutoPartsWarehouse (C-Tek Centric 102.00850, $32.00) but I have not been able to find info on either brand. Summit also lists ACDelco 17D39M, but again I am unable to find no feedback and availability is 3-4 weeks. CarID lists both the Centric C-Tek and the ACDelco units, and they are in stock.

I found another 2017 thread on this topic, raising some warnings about fitment.

--> Any suggestions, regarding brand(s) and supplier(s)? @mobileparts ?

Edit: the price of the NAPA pads has shot up from $25.99 to $32.00 since I mentioned them last night.

Last edited:
OK, bringing back this thread to ask about brake pads for Medina, my '71 Monaco. I understand that the Raybestos PG-D39M should work on my car, but they are out of stock at both RockAuto (no availability date mentioned) and Summit (allegedly available in 2-3 weeks). I don't see them at all from AutoZone or O'Reilly.

I have seen the PGD39M listed on eBay by just a couple of folks who have zero seller feedback, and I see some other brands claimed to work for a '71 on Napa (Napa Proformer PFB PF781M, $25.99) and on AutoPartsWarehouse (C-Tek Centric 102.00850, $32.00) but I have not been able to find info on either brand. Summit also lists ACDelco 17D39M, but again I am unable to find no feedback and availability is 3-4 weeks. CarID lists both the Centric C-Tek and the ACDelco units, and they are in stock.

I found another 2017 thread on this topic, raising some warnings about fitment.

--> Any suggestions, regarding brand(s) and supplier(s)? @mobileparts ?

Edit: the price of the NAPA pads has shot up from $25.99 to $32.00 since I mentioned them last night.
FWIW, I ended up going with Napa Proformer D39 for Medina. Happy with the brakes, two years and several thousand miles on. FWIW, at the time I paid $32 minus a AAA discount, or $23.39. They are currently available for $22.44 each, before any discounts -- so much for price inflation.

PS: The Raybestos are also back in stock at Rock Auto (PGD39M).

There are Many, Many people on this site that are aware that the ONLY Quality Disc Brske Pads that truly stop a car are *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** the softest, smoooooothest braking system known to mankind, illegal now due to EPA rules and regulations....

Fortunately for those of you who LOVE your ride, and want the best, any internet sites can NOT sell them....
But *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** are NOT illegal to transact upon, as they are grandfathered in ....

I am down to my last 50 or so sets of N.O.S. 7018 D 39
*** Asbestos *** Disc Brake Pads....
You can P.M. me, or pick them up with FREE Shipping at the Upcoming Chryslers @ Carlisle at H107 - H108....
Yours, Craig....

Davealux, thanks,

So has anyone rebuilt their calipers, FSM makes it look straight foward.

yes. It was. Rebuilt mine. Able to order a replacement piston, seals, bleeder screws, hose. Fortunate that my bore was not pitted. Soaked it is evaporust, cleaned it off, emery cloth to inside bore, VHT caliper paint, re-assemble. Easy. Many videos available out there to watch.

Back