Disc Brake Valve Question 67 Budd Disc Brakes

moparsteve

Reaction score
I am restoring a 1967 Monaco 500 for a customer and he decided to upgrade to the optional Budd disc brake system. Everything was sourced from a factory disc brake 68 parts car, including both brass valves. We had everything rebuilt (calipers, booster, master cylinder, brass valves) and it is all correct. My question is exactly where does this secondary valve mount and what is the routing to the front brakes. I am pretty sure about the rest of the system but have not been able to find anything either online or in the factory manuals (parts and service) showing the correct line routing.
This is a VERY high end correct NOS nut and bolt restoration and everything has to be right.
If anyone can help with the correct routing pictures it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

The tang on the metering block is supposed to mount to the small hole visible in your first photo just below your hand on the top of the frame rail. The self tapping bolt used to mount the unit creates the second mount hole as the bolt drills and taps itself into place. Cars were produced with a generic hole pattern on the sub frames, but in this case the bolt made it's own hole.

Dave

Will be a spectacular car when finished! The FSM should have a diagram/graphic of the brake tubing routings. Plus the Chrysler parts book could help too. www.mymopar.com should have those for that model year or one year prior, I suspect.

Might be a Chrysler MasterTech course on that system when it came out for the '66 models, too. Again, www.mymopar.com or www.onlineimperialclub.com.

CBODY67

I am pretty sure I have it figured out. The only question I have is regarding the line that goes from the proportioning valve to the metering valve. I can either come off the front or rear of the main valve and plug the other one. Does anyone know which side was plugged originally?
As far as the restoration, the owner sourced basically everything available NOS over the last several years and pretty much everything else is restored original parts. Even the original water pump was rebuilt. I will start a thread in the restoration section as I have hundreds of pictures of the process.

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

I agree, what a beauty! I’ll have a look at my ‘67 Imperial system to see if I can help answer your second question. Btw why are the UCAs silver? They would have been black.

My ‘67 Imp is totally different. Maybe the imperials were done differently than the Chrysler’s or maybe it’s a 67 to 68 thing but no extra valve to split the front and the passenger side is fed by a hard line that goes up and over the trans against the firewall.

I appreciate you checking on the Imperial. AS far as the upper control arms, they were bare steel when pulled and did not look to have ever been black so we had them powdercoated dull silver like all the rest of the bare steel parts. This was a Canadian built car so maybe this was the difference.

The rear valve is a brake warning valve. The rear brake feed line comes out of the backside lower port and the upper rear port is plugged. The rear brake line from the master hooks to the lower port on the forward part of the brake warning valve. The Master connection for the front discs hooks into the top of the brake warning valve. The top forward forward port feeds the front brakes.

Dave

Hello Dave, thank you for this info. I figured that was the case but it is nice that you were able to confirm.
Thanks again, Steve

Back