Disc Brakes for 70 newport?

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. BAD69FURY

BAD69FURY Member

Hi need, some recommendations on available disc brake conversion options for my 70 newport.

anybody done this?

I dont mind keeping the rear drums, but i do want front disc and new power brake booster, dual master for disc/drum setup.

hoping for a bolt on kit keeping the stock spindles.

thanks

2. BAD69FURY

BAD69FURY Member

also need a new gas tank? any sources, thanks

3. Dobalovr

Dobalovr Closet Floridian FCBO Gold Member

All the information you seek is available through the search function on this forum. Exhaustive discussions have been presented for exactly what you are looking for. Search bar is your friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

If you are going to use factory parts, you will need to change the front spindles as drums and discs do not use the same ones. '69-'72 spindles( for '69 Fury,Polara,Newport), '69-'72 rotors,'68-'70 Bendix dual diaphragm brake booster (some '71's also had this booster), '69-73 brake calipers. You can also use '73 spindles as long as you use the '73 rotors as the spindle is a larger size. '73 rotors are the easiest to find as they were also used on light duty vans and pickups. Avoid the '68 and older dual piston caliper disc brakes as parts are expensive and hard to come by. If the car does not already have 15" wheels, you will need to find a set of those to clear the disc calipers. You will also need an adjustable brake portioning valve to re-balance the brake system.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  5. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

If you do a web search for '70 Chrysler Fuel tank, several vendors come up. www.partsgeek.com has them among others.

Dave

6. BillGrissom

BillGrissom Active Member

Scarebird is the cheapest and simplest front disk conversion since keeps your spindles. Especially good if you recently rebuilt the front suspension. They use common GM or Toyota parts so should be easy future replacements. Factory disk parts are getting very rare. You will need to add an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear tubing and definitely a booster if you don't have one.

Like many, I put a CR9 gas tank for a B-body (~1968 Charger) in my 65 Newport last Fall. There are several year choices w/ various 1/4" vent tubes. Cost ~$100 vs ~$300 for a new C-body tank. I don't recall any fit issues. I dealt w/ more since plumbing a return tube for fuel injection.

7. Snotty

Snotty Senior Member FCBO Gold Member