Disc brakes?

darth_linux

Reaction score
Hi!

Can you retrofit disc brakes to a '66 Newport? I thought I read that discs were a factory option, but it seems like they were pretty rarely chosen. I was thinking of pulling from something newer (early 70s?) that is more readily available . . .

thanks for any tips or links!

Hi!

Can you retrofit disc brakes to a '66 Newport? I thought I read that discs were a factory option, but it seems like they were pretty rarely chosen. I was thinking of pulling from something newer (early 70s?) that is more readily available . . .

Yes. '70-73 spindles are a bolt on. ('69 Polara or '69 Fury also ran single piston calipers) Avoid Budd dual piston disc brakes that were used '65-'68 as parts for them are out of production and hard to find. You will also need a '68-'70 disc booster. You also need to add a disk brake proportioning valve to rebalance the brake system and a split brake conversion. Some '71 Fury/Polaras also used the correct booster which is a Bendix dual diaphragm booster.

Dave

Yes. '70-73 spindles are a bolt on. ('69 Polara or '69 Fury also ran single piston calipers) Avoid Budd dual piston disc brakes that were used '65-'68 as parts for them are out of production and hard to find. You will also need a '68-'70 disc booster. You also need to add a disk brake proportioning valve to rebalance the brake system and a split brake conversion. Some '71 Fury/Polaras also used the correct booster which is a Bendix dual diaphragm booster.

Dave

I saw a a conversion kit from LEED that looked ok, but didn't have rotor dust shields, spindles, proportioning valve, or any mention of whether or not it works with a 1966 power brake booster and single pipe master cylinder . . . any thoughts?

I saw a a conversion kit from LEED that looked ok, but didn't have rotor dust shields, spindles, proportioning valve, or any mention of whether or not it works with a 1966 power brake booster and single pipe master cylinder . . . any thoughts?
I would try to find a factory disc system off of a donor car in the years listed above. The after market systems have a ChiCom booster if one is supplied. These boosters have proven reliability issues. The other advantage of using a donor car is that you can usually scavenge the related tubing and small parts. The '66 drum brake booster is a Midland Ross unit that will still stop the car but it has about 25% less stopping power that the Bendix unit. There have also been some fitment/quality control issues with the brackets on the after market systems, also made in China. The factory system was designed for these cars and is the best option. The disc brake master cylinder from '67-'73 will work to make the conversion from a single pot master.

Dave

Last edited:
Do you have a booster on your drum brake setup? My 66 Polara didn't come with one. I had a new master cylinder and booster put in a few years ago and the car stops really well. If you don't have a booster, try that before you go all out for disc brakes.

Last edited:
I have a '73 Satellite (that is not much more than a pile of rust now) - but does it have everything I would need to convert my '67 Monaco to front disk brakes?

I have a '73 Satellite (that is not much more than a pile of rust now) - but does it have everything I would need to convert my '67 Monaco to front disk brakes?
The satellite is a B-Body, spindles, rotors and calipers are different. There are quite a few B-Body folks looking for disc conversions.

Dave

Hi!

Currently their are only 4 sources of c body disc brake kit that are ready to go I’m aware of
1. The Ram man..in ft worth
2. Pirate jack , witch is the retail side of MBM the wholesale side…in Asheville n.c
3. Leed brakes , new outfit I’m not familiar with
4. Outfit called aaj.. or something in Oregon
Number 2 and 3 are essentially same . Based on low power kh caliper used on a bodies.
2and 3 are only distributors….and are not familiar with product…not sure of #4.
I have finally run out of c body spinles(disc)…..since offered in 2008. I no longer offer factory set up as of last month.
the time was coming ..it’s been fun.
I have developed a super simple. Super cheap kit…….that bolts to drum spindle. Using original high power calipers and rotors. I also have WTH even more powerful Chevy calipers that cheaper than mopars…… this is easy for 16 year old…..I’m serious.
It is the simplest kit I have ever made to date…even simpler than truck d100 d200,d300. I’m famous for
The leed brakes and pirate jack are about 1200 with cheesy ,weak a body style KH calipers..and lightweight rotors
My new one…. For the c body is only little over 1/2 that.
The imperial is more ……must change pattern to 5on 5.5”
For 66 and down……5on 5” for 67 up imperial.
Both use massive factory rotor Of 1969 ..nearly 28 lbs.

Currently their are only 4 sources of c body disc brake kit that are ready to go I’m aware of
1. The Ram man..in ft worth
2. Pirate jack , witch is the retail side of MBM the wholesale side…in Asheville n.c
3. Leed brakes , new outfit I’m not familiar with
4. Outfit called aaj.. or something in Oregon
Number 2 and 3 are essentially same . Based on low power kh caliper used on a bodies.
2and 3 are only distributors….and are not familiar with product…not sure of #4.
I have finally run out of c body spinles(disc)…..since offered in 2008. I no longer offer factory set up as of last month.
the time was coming ..it’s been fun.
I have developed a super simple. Super cheap kit…….that bolts to drum spindle. Using original high power calipers and rotors. I also have WTH even more powerful Chevy calipers that cheaper than mopars…… this is easy for 16 year old…..I’m serious.
It is the simplest kit I have ever made to date…even simpler than truck d100 d200,d300. I’m famous for
The leed brakes and pirate jack are about 1200 with cheesy ,weak a body style KH calipers..and lightweight rotors
My new one…. For the c body is only little over 1/2 that.
The imperial is more ……must change pattern to 5on 5.5”
For 66 and down……5on 5” for 67 up imperial.
Both use massive factory rotor Of 1969 ..nearly 28 lbs.
I have found your site and bookmarked it. If it's something I end up pursuing, I'll be in touch. Thanks for the info!

Back