Dist drive gear/shaft. 383

I usually just reach in with long needle nose pliers, grab and twist as you pull out.

Put a large screwdriver in the slot (in the gear) and twist it so that the gear "climbs" away from the cam gear. Then you can grab it with long needlenose, magnet, etc. The other end of the shaft--the hex in the pump--is kinda suctioned into the pump like a piston, sealed with lots of oil. It's that suction you're working against when the gear climbs the cam gear.

I just use a screwdriver and screw it so it comes out, then use some long needle nose pliers to get the rest. If it's stuck like a lifter in the bore. Just give it a shot of Gumout or 2 to help release it. Good Luck

Lock ring pliers work great, you can use them to rebuild your transmission when you're done. Make sure your put the gear in the exact same position when you put it back in or you'll have timing issues.
lock ring pliers.jpg

Note what position the dist rotor is in. Then note where the slot in the shaft is pointing. Then pull it out watching another where the slot ends up when it rotates out. Mark that location. Assambly is the reverse order. Kim

Thanks guys. I had removed the gear/shaft twice before using all the listed methods but it stuck good this time. Even a hooked wire wouldn't budge it. But as it turned out It was indexed correctly after all.
I'm having trouble getting the engine to catch and run after the reinstalling the heads for a valve job. I've got fuel and fire so was looking hard at timing. Rotor comes up on the mark, firing order correct, points opening when they should. I pulled the left valve cover and power stroke is right on #1. I added a little trans fluid down the carb to try and seal the rings and boost compression, which seems to be fine. Just doesn't want to catch and run. I've had this issue before on mopar big blocks initial start.

Tweak it and give it some more timing and see what happens. Seems to be 99% of problems like yours. Good Luck

Thanks guys. I had removed the gear/shaft twice before using all the listed methods but it stuck good this time. Even a hooked wire wouldn't budge it. But as it turned out It was indexed correctly after all.
I'm having trouble getting the engine to catch and run after the reinstalling the heads for a valve job. I've got fuel and fire so was looking hard at timing. Rotor comes up on the mark, firing order correct, points opening when they should. I pulled the left valve cover and power stroke is right on #1. I added a little trans fluid down the carb to try and seal the rings and boost compression, which seems to be fine. Just doesn't want to catch and run. I've had this issue before on mopar big blocks initial start.

When that happened to me, the distributor was 180 out. . .

Here we go!
Liable to get a Verbal Whacking for this one.
The Old Saying is: Great Minds think Alike, But Fools rarely Differ. LOL
Tony.M

Well, it's time for the ole guy to own up. After some intense thinking and viewing.... what am I not seeing? It came to me like a rat out of an aqueduct. (As the romans used to say). Firing order was correct.... for a clockwise rotation...:BangHead: LOL. I reset the wires in a counterclockwise rotation and she fired right up......

My advise.... don't get old, or at least remember that you are old. You can all line up and have a kick now...... :icon_fU:

Well, it's time for the ole guy to own up. After some intense thinking and viewing.... what am I not seeing? It came to me like a rat out of an aqueduct. (As the romans used to say). Firing order was correct.... for a clockwise rotation...:BangHead: LOL. I reset the wires in a counterclockwise rotation and she fired right up......

My advise.... don't get old, or at least remember that you are old. You can all line up and have a kick now...... :icon_fU:
I think what scares me most is your familiarity with old Roman sayings!! :poke:

Don’t feel bad I did that same thing as my cap was marked for a 318 Clockwise and the 383 counter clockwise. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. I only saw the one and didn’t think through it.

Don’t feel bad I did that same thing as my cap was marked for a 318 Clockwise and the 383 counter clockwise. My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be. I only saw the one and didn’t think through it.

Exactly. I was just a couple of weeks ago that I had gone through the same procedure on my 61 poly 318. It was stuck in my head, guess.

Back