Distributers for 318

Just curious . . . what's needing upgrading from your old one?

CBODY67

You have a ton of choices out there depending how you drive it. Prices are all over the place on them. Nothing wrong with a mopar unit for a cruiser. Need to add 1/10 to the track buy a MSD setup.
What are you looking for actually? Whatever you buy make sure it has the proper curve for your engine. I can go through your original one also.

Last edited:
Just curious . . . is the unit you now have a converted points distributor? Reason I ask that is that my experience with points distributors is that they ALL will have some play/clearance from use at the top, due to the constant pressure of the points rubbing block against the distributor cam. Yet, when I checked for such on out '72 Newport 400 2bbl's OEM Chrysler distributor (with about 70K miles on it at the time), it was "tight as new". Which is when I realized that with no constant pressure from the points rubbing block, a balanced rotor, all the shaft had to do was spin with no sideloads applied.

Just a curious thought,
CBODY67

Just curious . . . what's needing upgrading from your old one?

CBODY67

You have a ton of choices out there depending how you drive it. Prices are all over the place on them. Nothing wrong with a mopar unit for a cruiser. Need to add 1/10 to the track buy a MSD setup.
What are you looking for actually? Whatever you buy make sure it has the proper curve for your engine. I can go through your original one also.
I'm a cruiser no hot rod.

Just curious . . . is the unit you now have a converted points distributor? Reason I ask that is that my experience with points distributors is that they ALL will have some play/clearance from use at the top, due to the constant pressure of the points rubbing block against the distributor cam. Yet, when I checked for such on out '72 Newport 400 2bbl's OEM Chrysler distributor (with about 70K miles on it at the time), it was "tight as new". Which is when I realized that with no constant pressure from the points rubbing block, a balanced rotor, all the shaft had to do was spin with no sideloads applied.

Just a curious thought,
CBODY67
I bought the car in 87 with the distributor that's in it. I'm not sure how to tell if it's a conversation or not.

I guess what I really want is a distributor made here in the U.S don't want any Chinese stuff. The one I have has seen better days ,I know you guys have alot more experience then i do ,I respect your opinion. Again I have a bone stock 318 rebuilt with 2000 miles. Appreciate your advice.

I bought the car in 87 with the distributor that's in it. I'm not sure how to tell if it's a conversation or not.
It would probably be best if you determine what you have now.

If it's a Mopar conversion, it will have an ECU mounted somewhere in the engine compartment. It will look something like this:

1644781240723.png

Might be a different color though.

The distributor will have two wires coming out of it with a plug that looks like this:

1644781485907.png

If you want PM me all the known engine information and the part number on the ECU also.

Back