Distributor Replacement Question

Catfish-65

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone has had experience with Proform 66993 Electronic Conversion Distributor kit,, For 361, 383, 400, etc change from original equipment,, Catfish 65 (Dave)
$_1.jpg

The main thing is to avoid any unit that is sourced from China, their distributors are **** and so are the electronics. Rich Rhrenberg supplies quality US made units for the conversion. That is what I use. www.ebay.com/str/ricksmopars.
Also, as part of any electronic ignition conversion, be sure to replace the mechanical regulator with an electronic one. The mechanical regulators create lots of static and will cause problems with the electronic ignition.

Dave

Every time I have swapped I used Mopar Performance Ignitions, but I don't think they are made anymore. Will say I've had no problems with them.

Clean and lube your points distributor, check and adjust points, replace as needed and keep driving, saving hundreds of dollars.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck electronic ignition is a good used or rebuilt Chrysler distributor and a GM HEI module. Simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Off the shelf parts too.

Mopar HEI Conversion
https://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15779

I would stay far away from the Proform offshore junk.

I spotted this on FABO the other day and found it really interesting. The transistor that is mounted to the heatsink and is a familiar part of the Mopar ECM is actually a metal fake part on many of the offshore ECMs.

20200905_170551-jpg.jpg

20200908_152944-jpg.jpg

20200908_152852-jpg.jpg

IMHO, the best bang for the buck electronic ignition is a good used or rebuilt Chrysler distributor and a GM HEI module. Simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Off the shelf parts too.

Mopar HEI Conversion
HEI Electronic Ignition Retrofit How-To - Slant Six Forum

I spotted this on FABO the other day and found it really interesting. The transistor that is mounted to the heatsink and is a familiar part of the Mopar ECM is actually a metal fake part on many of the offshore ECMs.

View attachment 411999
View attachment 412000
View attachment 412001
Holy crap!

:mob:

Think that was mentioned if it is tall it is fake. Look at the markings also on it.

Mopar HEI Conversion
HEI Electronic Ignition Retrofit How-To - Slant Six Forum

View attachment 411999
View attachment 412000
View attachment 412001

Asiatic Ethics at its Purest: ALL SHOW AND NO GO!!!

I completely agree with original system. Had the Pertronix system in my 300 L and put the dual points back in. Car ran better.

The BoaB is running the Summit Racing conversion kit.
3 years and 15,000 miles no problem.
Their curve in the distributor works nice on a big block.
SUM-851014

Back