Distributor Vacuum Advance

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
Is there a suitable replacement vacuum advance on the market? I've seen two in the Standard Catalog, VC-155 & VC-189, looks like either one would fit but doesn't say an exact match.

1968 383 HP "H" code
Distributor PN# 2875356
Vacuum Advance PN# 2875096

Tony's parts was supposed to start repoping them. I used a later electronic style and drilled the point plate to use it. The original style are virtually non existent except big$$$$ nos.

I need to revisit this issue later next week. Be good to know if the Standard VC-155 has been tried on a 60s 383. I have an electronic distributor with a vacuum advance that might work better than what I have on the 383, but will need to test it. Damn things are common as boar teats and hen's teeth.

Let me look up which one you need for stock? Or a bit more or less?
Ray

Which arm do you have also?
DSC02044.JPG

The one on the left! Does the arm have a "9L" on the bottom? I see the one on the right does, but mine definitely matches the one on the left save my old one isn't adjustable. Now, to be SURE, I need to check the one I'm RUNNING.... I'm currently looking at the setup from my old dizzie, which I replaced last year. If that one takes the same thing, we can do a deal.

That number dist above? I can look up the amount needed, the 9L means 18 max at the crank.

Here is what I have in that style one New Neihoff, non adjustable marked 13, neihoff does total at the crank and two used mopar 3755474, you nsure your distributor is not 2857356? Disregard second pic.

DSC02126.JPG

DSC02127.JPG

The ARM on the original vac advance matches the arm on the one pictured on the left. The original* distributor is numbered 2642727, which looks to be about right for the mid 1960s as I recall. The body has an oil port, which is nice. The cheap reman from Cardone I bought at VatoZone lacks that, though it works well enough for $38.....

ug8PjuzqLhggFFxagSQpRfIoZls9Z93ki908i4OkDdzRmwDOqNqYnsxBCll139sZUlE5W5ZOfXvd40Xs69w=w391-h694-no.jpg
VSL3D7Eh_6D2o9uf0i9dT3hLlkJyJ83PiMG8IPINtedO82r9w7Us2tgJk4dCnEtel_puh0dlZ9HMxpnSrpw=w391-h694-no.jpg

Whats the application so I can look it up, looked up the OP's for it.

1966 Chrysler Newport, 383 2-bbl. I'm looking for the original #s for that vintage now myself.

Give me the application I can run out to the shop and get you the right number year, engine, carb, trans.

1966 Chrysler Newport, 383 2-bbl. That's as much precision app I have. If I can't find a modest price vac advance pot, I'll buy one of Cardone's NEW distributors for the 383. They started making them this year, CarID and Rock Auto both carry them for less than many folks charge for NOS vac advance pots. Hell, I might even go wave the receipt of the reman at VatoZone and see about them replacing what I bought last Fall before the year is up. IFF you have something to match what I've got, that would be quite wonderful. To the best of my knowledge, that 383 is original to the car, as is the tranny, though I now suspect somebody got inside the latter at least once before, given how they had to helicoil a pump thread in the body....

67 383 2bbl?

I see what I had came from a '67, if eBay's reference is to be trusted..... 2642727. Looks like 2642244 is what went in the 1966 motors. So long as I can get a little vacuum advance working with this old 383 I'm running, that is all I want.

I actually have two of them one core and one redone. That is the number I came up with.

Back