DIY $40 make you holla fiberglas radiator shroud with bondo kit

You don't think you can install it in one piece? If you split it are you going to flange it on both sides so the half's can reattach?

i was going to split it in a horizontal split at the side, off the corner by a couple of inches. each section would have 3 bolts holding it, and I think will keep it from caving in or blowing out whatever its gonna try to do.

there are 3 studs sticking out down either side of the radiator. ill get some pics. i got to get out there and do stuff anyways.

aight - todays instructionals.

flop the rig over, and remove staples:
20170705_171035.jpg

20170706_085713.jpg
i finally got the wood form out, with a bunch of spades and flathead screwdrivers and kept going around the form. finally it wiggled loose. the blue painters tape did keep it separated, but was very snug fit.

20170706_090043.jpg
thickness = good
air bubble = bad

20170706_103503.jpg
air bubble = really really fknig bad.. kids dont let air bubbles happen. either fix it at the moment, or remove the offending piece and try again.

i was going to split it in a horizontal split at the side, off the corner by a couple of inches. each section would have 3 bolts holding it, and I think will keep it from caving in or blowing out whatever its gonna try to do.

there are 3 studs sticking out down either side of the radiator. ill get some pics. i got to get out there and do stuff anyways.
I wouldn't split it. I'd take the fan off to mount it and then bolt the fan back on.

20170706_102102.jpg
after trying to decide where 3 1/2" was, and realizing my bike wheel must have been slightly tilted in the form (i hope tilted in the correct direction, i may have to flip it over), i tried measuring all the way around at points, then taping off from point to point. i did this 2 or 3 times and ended up at a different spot each time :/

so then i picked a seam on the bike tire impression and winged it. dremel and cutoff wheel is the weapon of choice.

20170706_105654.jpg
after about the 7th fiberglass paper cut (this shite is sharp on a rough edge) i rough sanded the whole thing. lot of lumps. sigh. but damn if i didnt make a radiator fan shroud.

im going to bondo / pookey / PL30 / something in the inside of each corner. 3 corners are good, but one has a pinhole i can see light thru.

ill head to the store and get some of that there bondo filler goop and we will play some more.

try not to breathe fiberglass dust -

- saylor

Same here, one piece it. All the newer ones are one piece, I'd bet there's a good reason for it. My 65 is one of a very few 2 piece units I've ever seen and I've only ever split it for painting or to remove it for a recore job.

View attachment 131912 after about the 7th fiberglass paper cut (this shite is sharp on a rough edge) i rough sanded the whole thing. lot of lumps. sigh. but damn if i didnt make a radiator fan shroud.

im going to bondo / pookey / PL30 / something in the inside of each corner. 3 corners are good, but one has a pinhole i can see light thru.

ill head to the store and get some of that there bondo filler goop and we will play some more.

try not to breathe fiberglass dust -

- saylor
Definitely don't breath that stuff. I used to suit up, tyvek suit, full face resp., head sock, rubber gloves all duct taped together .. go inside the shop and flip on the exhaust and watch the little shards blow around in the light. Once that **** gets inside you it just travels around, through veins and any other matter it encounters till it finds it way out or stops somewhere and festers. Nasty nasty nasty.

The chemicals are no better. Heavy in styrene which, even with the heaviest of industrial rubber will eat through in no time.

There was one colossal a**wipe in the shop who thought it fun to soak pieces of bread in catalyst and watch the seaguls eat it .. another who just thought it fun to dump catalyst in your bucket to screw your run up .. didn't look into the msds books far enough to figure out that the sh** catches fire if you kick it too hot.... colorful bunch in that trade.

yes ^^.

i am too casual in all of it. i used to be a printing press operator, so i got 10+ years of MEK, ink, acetone, UV, ammonia, alcohol, developer, you name it. i do cough up balls of grey **** from time to time :)

in this garage venture here ^^ i have 2 fans behind my work blowing outbound, and i use the leaf blower to clean up in between tasks.

is the fan really only the 4 bolts on the front face of the fan?

i thought you had to undo the radiator and all the frontals to get it ?

yes ^^.

i am too casual in all of it. i used to be a printing press operator, so i got 10+ years of MEK, ink, acetone, UV, ammonia, alcohol, developer, you name it. i do cough up balls of grey **** from time to time :)

in this garage venture here ^^ i have 2 fans behind my work blowing outbound, and i use the leaf blower to clean up in between tasks.
I hear ya. I started out a furniture finisher and would regularly wipe gel urethane and stains with no gloves then clean off with thinner. Somehow after working the boat building job I got real careful about stuff... probably too late anyway, but.

is the fan really only the 4 bolts on the front face of the fan?

i thought you had to undo the radiator and all the frontals to get it ?
Indeed. I squeeked in there and got the four bolts out, sat the fan in the bottom of the shroud while I took the shroud bolts off then lifted all of it out at once.

Back