Do fuselage CBodies use a windshield seal?

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Going to replace my windshield and I'm being told it's a glue-in... I have seen gasket/seal for sale as well... Anybody? I was quotes 287.00 for the part...sounds reasonable right?

I believe that the fuselage cars do have a "glue-in" windshield, with the slabs having the windshield that is designed to use a gasket. Be sure to get the premium/OEM level adhesive and use the rubber blocks to correctly position the new glass in place, at the bottom, with the new adhesive in place. Once in place, "pat" the glass to "seat" it in the adhesive/sealer enough that you can re-install the surround mouldings.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I believe that the fuselage cars do have a "glue-in" windshield, with the slabs having the windshield that is designed to use a gasket. Be sure to get the premium/OEM level adhesive and use the rubber blocks to correctly position the new glass in place, at the bottom, with the new adhesive in place. Once in place, "pat" the glass to "seat" it in the adhesive/sealer enough that you can re-install the surround mouldings.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thank you for the response. I was not going to get the new windshield because the labor and whatever gasket/seal would exceed the budget. Now I am wondering if this is something I can do myself? What is a good adhesive and are the blocks something that I can re-use? I have never tried to work on glass so I am apprehensive but that hasn't stopped me yet. Is there a thread or write-up on this? Feeling motivated, thank you :)

I believe there might be a thread in here on a DIY install installation. NO, you can not do this by yourself, you will need an assistant to get it laid onto the adhesive the first time. The blocks are two rubber blocks, about an inch or so long, and about 1/4" square (cross section). Once there, they are glued in with the glass.

I know that some have done this themselves, but to me, it's best to let a glass company do it. One thing is that if it ever leaks, they'll usually re-seal it as "warranthy work" (as the OEM-level sealants have a lifetime warranty). The glass itself is a bit heavy, plus its size, can make it a very unweildy situation to try to do by yourself.

BUT to get to that point, you'll have to cut the old windshield out. Which can be another deal that somebody used to doing it, with appropriate tools, could do better and quicker than many DIYers, by observation. Nothing special, just that they have been there before and have the tools to do it with already.

NOW, not to say that you and a helper can't do the deal/adventure, just that there will be additional expenses in the correct good tools and then the OEM-level adhesive to make the whole deal work.

Some shops might use a roll of rubber windshield caulk, which will include the rubber blocks, as others might use caulking gun adhesive. In many respects, the roll sealer can ensure the correct thickness of the sealer, just depends upon who is doing it and how much experience they might have, to me.

Personally, we've got a very good working relationship with a PPG independent glass shop. Which is why I let them do those things for me. No mess with the disposal of the old glass. Everything's got a price, your time and what you might pay them to do the job. Watch how they do things and then you'll have a better idea of what's involved in the future. See who the local new car dealers use for their windshield replacements.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

technically not glued. it uses a butyl tape
pf-20200_L_1acde4b1.jpg

G'Day,
Having Worked for an Automotive Windshield Firm, I have only one Piece of Advice.
Pay Someone Else to do the Job.
It's All Very Easy to Think You can do the Job, But I have seen so many People Break Screens when trying to Fit Them.
A Laminated Screen in the Car is Very Strong, Out of the Car you only have to Twist it the Wrong Way and it's done.
A Zone-Toughened Screen is Stronger out of the Car But not so much in the Car.
if You have a Clumsy Assistant the Cost of Buying another Screen will likely wipe out any Savings you were hoping for
And there is No Guarantee that you won't break the Second one.
If a Shop is to Supply & Fit a Screen and it gets broken on Install, it's Their Problem Not Yours.
Your Choice But Some Things are best left to the Experts.
Kind Regards,
Tony.M
P.S.
AND if they Scratch or Damage your Car they Have Insurance
I can Remember Many Years ago One of our fellas Slipped when Installing a Screen in a Rolls.
You Could have Just about Painted a Complete Car for what it cost to Touch Up a Four inch Scratch in the Rolls. LOL

G'Day,
Having Worked for an Automotive Windshield Firm, I have only one Piece of Advice.
Pay Someone Else to do the Job.
It's All Very Easy to Think You can do the Job, But I have seen so many People Break Screens when trying to Fit Them.
A Laminated Screen in the Car is Very Strong, Out of the Car you only have to Twist it the Wrong Way and it's done.
A Zone-Toughened Screen is Stronger out of the Car But not so much in the Car.
if You have a Clumsy Assistant the Cost of Buying another Screen will likely wipe out any Savings you were hoping for
And there is No Guarantee that you won't break the Second one.
If a Shop is to Supply & Fit a Screen and it gets broken on Install, it's Their Problem Not Yours.
Your Choice But Some Things are best left to the Experts.
Kind Regards,
Tony.M
P.S.
AND if they Scratch or Damage your Car they Have Insurance
I can Remember Many Years ago One of our fellas Slipped when Installing a Screen in a Rolls.
You Could have Just about Painted a Complete Car for what it cost to Touch Up a Four inch Scratch in the Rolls. LOL
I think I will take your advice...I just got a hold of someone and it's 200 to come to my place or 150 if I drive it the 40 miles to his shop.. so I am at 417.00

Good Choice!
You Fellas Don't know how Lucky you are.
I Doubt we would get a Screen Fitted over Here for Less than a A$1,000.
The Moment you Say "Classic" You have to Start Digging Up All the Tins in the Back Yard. LOL
All the Best.
Tony.M

I agree, pay someone to install it. I looked a the YT videos for the windshield install on my '69 D300 truck. Looks easy-peasy, right? Got the old one old with no problems whatsoever. I considered myself a graduate of Youtube U, and started the installation of a new glass and new rubber. After two hours of simply getting to get the glass in the bottom part of the channel, and failed, I said "screw this!"...I know a guy who does this professionally, and he is going to install it next week for me. A hundred bucks well-spent, in my eyes. I like giving something a try, but windshields? I can get them out all day long without a problem, but installing is a talent I do not possess, and willingly say so.

For the windshield, the gasket, retainer strip, and installation, I'll be in it just shy of $400.

Going to replace my windshield and I'm being told it's a glue-in... I have seen gasket/seal for sale as well... Anybody? I was quotes 287.00 for the part...sounds reasonable right?
I bought a new windscreen for the 69 convertible 300, the last owner allowed the wipers to scratch the screen badly. The local windscreen bloke came to my house and removed the old one then we found rust at the two bottom corners.. darn darn darn. He said if you want to repair the holes he could come back so I agreed. To properly repair the holes I had to take the front fenders off, what a job but had to be done. I cut out all the rust, took the entire windscreen surround back to bare metal, hand fabricated the new inserts gingerly welded them in, took all the weld back to level, primed all the bare metal and then gloss blacked it with no rust epoxy paint, refitted the fenders and called him to come back, took me about a week to do. When he came back he was amazed at the job and glued the new windscreen in, it took him half an hour to fit the window and 1 and a half hours to refit the chrome work and I can tell you this the repair was the easy part fitting a big screen like these is best left to the professionals, all looks great now. And he only charged me AUD$250 for the whole job

Back