DO NOT USE TRICO CLASSIC WIPER BLADES

Richard Reau

Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies, I am writing to warn you NOT to use Trico Classic wiper blades on your classic C-Body. I bought a set on Amazon about a month ago, and have had occasion to use them once or twice since installing them. TODAY, during a light rain, one of the rubber blades folded over and a metal part of the body scratched the windshield of my '65 New Yorker.

I have contacted Trico via their website, and they say they are going to have a representative contact me within 48 hours. SO, does anyone know how to polish out a scratch on a windshield?

Rich

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies, I am writing to warn you NOT to use Trico Classic wiper blades on your classic C-Body. I bought a set on Amazon about a month ago, and have had occasion to use them once or twice since installing them. TODAY, during a light rain, one of the rubber blades folded over and a metal part of the body scratched the windshield of my '65 New Yorker.

I have contacted Trico via their website, and they say they are going to have a representative contact me within 48 hours. SO, does anyone know how to polish out a scratch on a windshield?

Rich
That really awful to hear. I did not install the set I have here after I found that the blade frame was painted and not stainless steel.

65245A7C-480F-4926-944C-3F4430DFDB10.jpeg

3EF71A72-EDA1-48C0-9D1A-A35A44533B61.jpeg

Richard Reau

Reaction score
Thanks Justin, I'll try Eastwood. Hopefully I can get Trico to pay for it. I may remind them that I'm on the BMW 2002 forum, the Riviera forum, the MGB forum, the Triumph forum etc. etc...

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score

I have contacted Trico via their website, and they say they are going to have a representative contact me within 48 hours. (...)

Rich
For Medina, my 1971 Monaco, I wanted original-look blades and paid MoparMall for the right pair -- see here for photos. One of them arrived crooked, but MM stepped up to the plate and sent me a correct replacement. I commend them on their customer service.

As for how they perform, well, they give the "period experience" -- yes, they remove water, but they don't work quite as well as modern wiper blades. I like that, as what I am going for with my C-bodies is the feel of the 1970s.

@Big_John had a cheaper suggestion in that thread, while @75LandYacht reported that he was very happy with the Trico set that he has been using on his C-body.

Last edited:

mrfury68

Reaction score
Try an "old school" toothpaste, like Colgate or Crest without any of that colored gel in it. Apply it on the scratch and work it in with a somewhat stiff small brush and wipe off with a towel. Toothpaste is actually a light polishing compound and is known to remove light scratches from glass. Good luck.

Richard Reau

Reaction score
Thanks mrfury, I'll try it. Bethel Park, PA.....my wife's mother Shirley was born there. Shirley's Dad and brothers owned a huge piece of land there which eventually became a shopping mall in the 1960s I think. There's a street nearby, Graeser St., named for the family. Shirley just turned 89.

MetalManiacAZ

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Trico will step up and do the right thing. I remember watching a show, I believe it was My Classic Car, and they said to use 0000 steel wool with glass cleaner. Do your homework beforehand because this was about 15 years ago when I saw it but I've used this on chrome and it came out looking great.

Richard Reau

Reaction score
Thanks AZ, I appreciate the input. I imagine Trico knows how to remove the scratch, and probably makes a product to do it!

57fury440

Reaction score
I used the kit that Eastwood sells. It was not expensive, and it worked good. You just have to take your time and follow the instructions. The windshield on one of the cars I had was scratched by a wiper blade doing exactly what you described. It wasn't too bad, and it came out.

mrfury68

Reaction score
Thanks mrfury, I'll try it. Bethel Park, PA.....my wife's mother Shirley was born there. Shirley's Dad and brothers owned a huge piece of land there which eventually became a shopping mall in the 1960s I think. There's a street nearby, Graeser St., named for the family. Shirley just turned 89.
Small world isn't it. I live 2 blocks from Graeser Ave. The shopping mall would be South Hills Village Mall. It opened in 1965. Bethel Park isn't farms and coal mines anymore.

Richard Reau

Reaction score
Wow that's some coincidence fury, I'll tell my MIL about this. My wife teaches ballet at Point Park every summer, and I go up to Columbus to work for a couple of months to escape the Tampa heat. I usually go over to P'burgh on July 4th weekend to hang out, we watch the fireworks from the Smithfield bridge. Don't tell me you know her cousin Tim Decker? Anyhow, next summer when I'm up there, I'll message you and maybe I can come over and check out the Fury. Cheers from Tampa, Richard.

stubs300

Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies, I am writing to warn you NOT to use Trico Classic wiper blades on your classic C-Body. I bought a set on Amazon about a month ago,

Rich

Just because you have problems doesn't mean that everybody will! I would look at the source from where you bought them over just blaming Trico. Why didn't you buy them at a local store instead, at least your ass would be covered!!! I bet that vendor is selling seconds and you got suckered!!! Why is it that idiots are so quick to just put on the blame something instead of looking at the big picture of the real problem? Which is themselves being idiots!!!!

Last edited:

Richard Reau

Reaction score
Very helpful, Stubbs. You're right, maybe the Tricos will work out for you. Give 'em a try.

stubs300

Reaction score
I haven't worried about wipers since day one because I never take the car out with any threat of rain while I'm gone! Here's a question for you. Why do you want to take a car out in the rain and have the undercarriage get dirty & wet, which also helps promote that nasty 4 letter word, "RUST"?
This really doesn't matter if you drive a beat up, rusted out, oil burning old shit box!