Do some work, finally:

bulldogchesty

Reaction score
Looks like a very nice day to pull off some quarter panels. I need to pull all the stuff I am going to save on my 68 parts car and get it out of the back yard before I get a code violation. Wish me luck.:eek:s_dancing2:

Thanks hair,I will. I finally get a weekend when I can work on my car and it is downpouring. Mother F$#@@@. parts car 039.jpgparts car 040.jpgparts car 041.jpgparts car 042.jpgparts car 043.jpg

parts car 039.jpg

parts car 040.jpg

parts car 041.jpg

parts car 042.jpg

parts car 043.jpg

I know the feeling.....had the same idea,wanted to work on striping down my firewall,hopefully it won't last long (it's a Florida thing).Keep that thing covered and code enforcement won't bother you.Have fun!!! :busted:

everyday-drones.jpeg2-1280x960.jpg

attachment.php

SWATEd.jpg

19060158_BG1.jpg

My rear deck filler panel had close to a hundred spot welds,then multiply that x2. after cutting the on going panel. Hang in there it'll be worth it.

HPIM0911.jpg

HPIM0911.jpg

If your not going to use any of the inner panels I'd just take a sawzall and cut inboard a little more than the quarter panel and just remove it as a whole unit,then scrap what you don't need.You know how it goes with any kind of metal around here,as soon as it's put to the curb it's gone,so getting rid of the remainder of the car shouldn't be a problem.There are guys out there waiting to drag it out of your yard for the metal!

My rear deck filler panel had close to a hundred spot welds,then multiply that x2. after cutting the on going panel. Hang in there it'll be worth it.

[iurl="http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27038&d=1382298203&d=1382298203"]
attachment.php
[/iurl]
Did you use one of those spot weld cutters?

Posted via Topify on Android

Did you use one of those spot weld cutters?

Posted via Topify on Android

Yes I did. Actually made my own. Learned how to make a sheet metal drill years ago while working in a machine shop. I lightly grind just enough paint to expose the spot welds and I center punched each one, then carefully drill the weld without going through the inner panel. Goes quickly once you get the hang of it. Bulldog is doing a great job.

I just noticed,the 68 models don't have the flow thru louvers on that rear panel behind the back window.The 67 models have all those finned vents there.

Not sure if that option is one year specific. Can't say that I've seen one on a 68.

Yes I did. Actually made my own. Learned how to make a sheet metal drill years ago while working in a machine shop. I lightly grind just enough paint to expose the spot welds and I center punched each one, then carefully drill the weld without going through the inner panel. Goes quickly once you get the hang of it. Bulldog is doing a great job.

I may have to try that. I burned up four spot weld cutters.

Drill burning up is typically one of two things. Either your RPM is to fast, or the drill is just very cheap low cobalt. Automotive sheet metal is very soft, although the weld may be a bit harder, but there is no reason to go through a lot of drills. Get yourself a good quality cobalt drill, and keep the RPM down. The chips should not be turning colors. A small amount of cutting oil may help also. Here is a pic of the one I made. It's a little rough because my bench grinder is not mounted solid. It's on a pedestal and it vibrates and moves while I grind. The important area is that the pilot is slightly longer than the cutting flutes so that it centers itself and have proper relief so that it cuts rather than rubs.
HPIM0967.jpg

HPIM0967.jpg

I use Blair spot weld cutters and they work fantastic and are very durable as well as made in Michigan so buy them. I almost completely dismantled my '68 RR with one.
nice job on the drill bit though, I'm going to give that a try.

Back