Do they make Headlight wiring harnesses?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m restoring a 68 New Yorker and I just purchased a C Body engine wiring harness for my 68 but it doesn’t appear to have the portion for headlamps. Is it 2 separate harnesses? If so where could I purchase the headlamp wiring? Mine is shot and chewed through by rats

I’m restoring a 68 New Yorker and I just purchased a C Body engine wiring harness for my 68 but it doesn’t appear to have the portion for headlamps. Is it 2 separate harnesses? If so where could I purchase the headlamp wiring? Mine is shot and chewed through by rats
For my '66 cars, the headlights are part of the long under hood harness. I think it's the same in the '68 Monaco as well.

Headlight harness is part of the main harness that runs from the firewall bulkhead, across the top of the fender and down through the radiator support. Also starter relay wire, neutral safety and most of your power to everything.
‘68 Polara

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Headlight harness is part of the main harness that runs from the firewall bulkhead, across the top of the fender and down through the radiator support. Also starter relay wire, neutral safety and most of your power to everything.
‘68 Polara

Yes and this is where I get confused, because the harness I received from Herbs looks like it’s half the size of the bulkhead connector! I’ll attach pics

B27DBE82-392A-451A-9A28-F23A06987AD3.jpeg

E299C317-3033-456D-87E2-02E57AC5FECD.jpeg

Yes and this is where I get confused, because the harness I received from Herbs looks like it’s half the size of the bulkhead connector! See attached pics

Yes and this is where I get confused, because the harness I received from Herbs looks like it’s half the size of the bulkhead connector! See attached pics
There are three harnesses coming out of that bulkhead. I think the harness you need is the lower one of the three

There are three harnesses coming out of that bulkhead. I think the harness you need is the lower one of the three

And the harness you are holding isn't the one for the headlights. That's the one in the middle and does the charging, starter, ignition etc. systems.

And the harness you are holding isn't the one for the headlights. That's the one in the middle and does the charging, starter, ignition etc. systems.
Yessir! I have the engine harness but need a donor headlight harness. I’ve realized they don’t make them new. Thankfully I’ve come across someone parting out a 68 next week so I think I can grab it!

A quick question to help further my understanding, so the Middle would be for the Charging, starting / ignition system... what would the top and bottom go to? I assume one is for Dash the other is for headlamps but which is which?

A quick question to help further my understanding, so the Middle would be for the Charging, starting / ignition system... what would the top and bottom go to? I assume one is for Dash the other is for headlamps but which is which?
The best answer I can give you is to show you how to find this in the service manual.

I don't have a '68 Chrysler manual anymore, but I do have a similar digital copy of a '68 Plymouth that will be close enough. Here's a screen shot of the page we need to look at with some highlights.

Wiring.jpg

First thing is the bulkhead disconnect. Note the set of 3 "cavities" with marking of ABC etc.

Now see the marked plugs, also ABC etc. highlighted in yellow. Those plug into those cavities. A-E goes into A-E and J-N goes into J-N and so on. Look at the shapes and you'll see the little "bumps" around the outside of the plugs. That keeps you from plugging them into the wrong cavity.

Now for the real mystery of the wiring diagram.... and guys that have been doing this for years don't understand, so you are learning this early. See I've highlighted one wire "J2-16DBL*" . Those all mean something. The easiest and most important is the "DBL" and that's the color. Dark blue and if you're not sure, it's in the bottom right. Also very important is that "*". That asterisk means it has a white tracer which is electrical wire speak for a white stripe on the wire.

Next most important is the "16". That is the wire gauge or size. In this case it's a #16 wire.

The "J2" is the circuit number. Follow that wire down to where it plugs into the regulator and you'll see "J2-16DBL*" repeated again. If this was a long run that went to another page, that's how you would follow the run.

I always like digital copies because I will print out these pages and take my colored highlighters and draw all over them to figure out what I'm doing. If you have a paper copy, my suggestion is have some paper copies made and do the same. It saves a lot of frustration.

Next post, I'll show you how to disconnect the plugs.

OK, next post, I'll show you how to disconnect the plugs. First it's better to show the relationship of the wiring diagrams, again using the Plymouth manual, a different page. This shows the "front end lighting" with the disconnect plug W-Z that has the wiring for the lights. Those wires aren't shown on the diagram above just as that wiring isn't shown on this one. I'm hoping that will make it a little clearer.

Wiring 2.jpg

The best answer I can give you is to show you how to find this in the service manual.

I don't have a '68 Chrysler manual anymore, but I do have a similar digital copy of a '68 Plymouth that will be close enough. Here's a screen shot of the page we need to look at with some highlights.

View attachment 439990

First thing is the bulkhead disconnect. Note the set of 3 "cavities" with marking of ABC etc.

Now see the marked plugs, also ABC etc. highlighted in yellow. Those plug into those cavities. A-E goes into A-E and J-N goes into J-N and so on. Look at the shapes and you'll see the little "bumps" around the outside of the plugs. That keeps you from plugging them into the wrong cavity.

Now for the real mystery of the wiring diagram.... and guys that have been doing this for years don't understand, so you are learning this early. See I've highlighted one wire "J2-16DBL*" . Those all mean something. The easiest and most important is the "DBL" and that's the color. Dark blue and if you're not sure, it's in the bottom right. Also very important is that "*". That asterisk means it has a white tracer which is electrical wire speak for a white stripe on the wire.

Next most important is the "16". That is the wire gauge or size. In this case it's a #16 wire.

The "J2" is the circuit number. Follow that wire down to where it plugs into the regulator and you'll see "J2-16DBL*" repeated again. If this was a long run that went to another page, that's how you would follow the run.

I always like digital copies because I will print out these pages and take my colored highlighters and draw all over them to figure out what I'm doing. If you have a paper copy, my suggestion is have some paper copies made and do the same. It saves a lot of frustration.

Next post, I'll show you how to disconnect the plugs.

Thanks a lot! This is going to help me big time.

Thanks a lot! This is going to help me big time.
Good!

As promised, a quick lesson in taking them off. This sounds simple, but I've seen so many broken over the years from guys taking them off wrong that I figure it's worth a few minutes.

Ok, with some... uh... borrowed pictures...

The tab needs to be unclipped from the firewall connector. Yellow arrow on the left shows the tab. Stick a screwdriver on the side shown in the center and gently rock from side to side while pulling. Patience is needed. The bottom pic shows the tab (it's on both sides) that you are trying to unhook from.

It can be frustrating, but they do come apart. Once it unhooks, it comes off, but I always seem to get one side unhooked just as the other side clicks back on. You are pulling out 8 wire terminals while struggling with the plastic housing and it either hasn't been touched in 50+ years or it's been half broken off by somebody that didn't have the patience 25 years ago.

wiring 3.jpg
Wiring 4.jpg

I believe it is the top one that goes to the wiper motor, The middle one is the engine and charging system, the bottom one is the main harness for under the hood.
Your rear harness runs thru the inside of the vehicle down the drivers side.

Also, your car has two wires for the "Hot" and "Cold" dash warning lights, not one for a temp gauge. I had this problem on a harness I purchased for my 300.

Back