do you have or add a coolant expansion tank?

mathiew

Reaction score
I just wondering if it's a good idea to add an expansion chamber or coolant catch can to my stock radiator?

I did on my 67 Imperial. Just rerouted the hose to an inconspicuous plastic bottle near the battery. I found that after a jaunt at 70 mph and a quick shutdown, she would piddle just a tad. Not much, but embarrassing non the less.

I just wondering if it's a good idea to add an expansion chamber or coolant catch can to my stock radiator?
I installed one in my 65. I used an overflow container from an early 80's D100.

upload_2017-12-5_18-18-18.jpeg

underhood 005.jpg

If your coolant level is correct and everything is working as it should, you probably are not going to lose much coolant. This is the kind of addition that certainly won't hurt anything unless of course you are building a show car, in that case leave it stock.

Dave

The coolant recovery systems are allegedly supposed to have a "special cap" for the radiator, one that'll allow coolant to be drawn back into the radiator as it cools. But I think most now have been changed to that design.

Many drag racing rules require some sort of "catch can" to catch coolant overflows, so they won't get onto the racing surface. Not sure if a coolant recovery system might work for that, but has to be better than some of the catch cans I've seen on sale.

Try to keep the radiator-to-tank hose elevation such that air bubbled won't be in a "high spot".

CBODY67

Conventional coolant expands 5 to 6% when hot. If you don't have an expansion tank the first thing you notice is that the coolant level in the top tank of the rad is slightly down when cold. Not so with an expansion tank. The truth is, any air in or about a cooling system is not good.

Here is one to thinks about, antifreeze is highly poisonous to cats, and dogs. They just love the sweet smell of the stuff.

How bout some pics on where you put your catch cans at? I tried to put one in my 68 newport but i haven't found a spot yet

Many drag racing rules require some sort of "catch can" to catch coolant overflows, so they won't get onto the racing surface. Not sure if a coolant recovery system might work for that, but has to be better than some of the catch cans I've seen on sale.
CBODY67
You are correct, and yes they will.

My CHP car has a Cadillac bottle on it, the CHP added them as needed. It was mounted behind the headlight, tight fit but it is there.

Alan

2016-05-08_006.jpg

Back