Do you think this car will make a 400 mile trip?

Jon O.

Reaction score
I just bought a 1972 Newport. It has been stored in a garage for its whole life. There is no rust on the body, or underneath. No tears in the upholstery either. It was never driven during the winter, and has 71,000 miles. If this car has a new oil change, and new tires, do you think it could make the 400 mile trip home? It has no mechanical issues.
Also, this is my first car that is more than 25 years old. How do I baby this car and make it last as long as it possibly can? My grandma used to own a 72 Newport "The Tank" as we called it, and she did explain to me that i'm going to be pouring gas into it all day. What kind of things should I bring in case of emergency on such a long trip?
I'm really looking forward to this car getting home. I remember when I was a little kid my grandma had a blue one, and in the back during a road trip, my sister could lay across the floor, my other sister lay across the seat, and I could lay across the window! They haven't made cars of that size in a long time.
00000_lngC3BFkUpY_600x450.jpg

Congratulations on your fine acquisition. If I were in your shoes, I would bring basic tools including the essential 1/2 and 7/16 sockets, a spare voltage regulator and spare rubber (radiator hoses) just to be on the safe side.
As for gas mileage, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 400CID, 2bbl. as long as your carburetor is in good condition. When you get the car home, a carburetor rebuild would be a small investment that pays for itself in very little time. Good luck with your journey and have fun.

Last edited:
What he said plus for the first couple hundred miles vary the speed and allow the engine to loosen up and "break in" after it's long sleep. If the history of the car was a lot of short little trips then you need to be careful as the pistons scrape carbon etc out of the cylinders and that a ridge hasn't developed at the top of the cylinders.
Baby it!
Post your proposed route and see if any forum members live along the way and get their contact info.
Enjoy your fall drive!!

You said that it's always been garaged, but you didn't say when it was last driven. If it's been driven a little bit all along it really shouldn't be a an issue.

I agree with what the other guys said. Basic tools, hoses (radiator & heater), belts, and extra fluids.

I really like the idea of posting your route to find some possible safe havens along the way.

How about some more pictures.

Check all the fluids, check all hoses clamps, make damn sure the brakes are good to go, inspect the spare and replace it before the trip if it is dry rotted.

I wouldn't tell you to pack any of that extra junk (parts) unless you buy it from a place that will allow you to return it for full credit. It's always good to keep tools in the car.

But as was mentioned, you left out the most important facts. When was the car last driven? What terrain/weather will you encounter? Who owned the car last? A 60-year old enthusiast (as that Mopar front plate indicates) a 90-year old grandma that gave up driving decades ago, or a 17-year old kid with dreams of 15" subwoofers?

Do you have a friend with mechanical knowledge who can ride with you? Are you driving to get the car, and will therefore have a ride to the Wal-Mart when you run dry on blinker fluid or throw a Kneutan Shaft?

More info needed to process request

Very nice! :thumbsup:

I've done a few new-purchase road trips in the past. They can be real fun when all goes well. You'll want to check just about everything made of rubber before embarking on your trip. Belts, coolant hoses, and especially fuel hoses. The two short ones on either side of the fuel filter tend to crack the worst. Also check the hose that feeds the pump, along with the hose that goes from the metal line on the body to the metal line on the subframe. That one is under the car near the passenger front door. Eyeball the brake hoses too, to make sure there aren't any big splits in them. Top off all your fluids and bring extra along for the trip. You shouldn't need a ton of tools, but one of those cheap, all-in-one kits would be good to have. Lowes used to sell a nice one under the Blue Hawk name for around $50.

Jeff

You said that it's always been garaged, but you didn't say when it was last driven. If it's been driven a little bit all along it really shouldn't be a an issue.

I agree with what the other guys said. Basic tools, hoses (radiator & heater), belts, and extra fluids.

I really like the idea of posting your route to find some possible safe havens along the way.

How about some more pictures.
It is about an every other day driver for the guy who owns it (an older man who is a car collector). It is in a state with inspection, and has passed this years. It has been taken on long trips in the past with no problems I am told. It has all fluids changed in it, and brand new tires. I do know it does not get driven during the winter at all. He said he does start it up for a while when it doesn't get driven for a while.

It is about an every other day driver for the guy who owns it (an older man who is a car collector). It is in a state with inspection, and has passed this years. It has been taken on long trips in the past with no problems I am told. It has all fluids changed in it, and brand new tires. I do know it does not get driven during the winter at all. He said he does start it up for a while when it doesn't get driven for a while.

And are you flying in/driving back, or will you have a chase car? Are you driving through the mountains, desert, Canadian igloos, volcanos?

If what you did say is true, none of the extremes I mentioned apply, AND you'll have a chase car, basic fluids and a few tools, then I would say "yes".

At minimum Id bring basic tools, upper and lower radiatior hoses, fuel line, filter. Have AAA Current. Ballast resistor, and have fun driving it home.

And are you flying in/driving back, or will you have a chase car? Are you driving through the mountains, desert, Canadian igloos, volcanos?

If what you did say is true, none of the extremes I mentioned apply, AND you'll have a chase car, basic fluids and a few tools, then I would say "yes".
Oh yes, sorry I forgot the most important part. My dad has quite a bit of mechanical knowledge. Me and him are driving up there, and then driving two cars back (aka a chase car). It is reletively flat between Indianapolis, Indiana and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. No mountains, large hills, just fairly straight highway. No extremes.

A pair of pliers, a couple screw drivers and a cell phone and charger. Hop in hammer down.

I must also add beer in the fridge at home to celebrate when you pull in the driveway

Oh yes, sorry I forgot the most important part. My dad has quite a bit of mechanical knowledge. Me and him are driving up there, and then driving two cars back (aka a chase car). It is reletively flat between Indianapolis, Indiana and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. No mountains, large hills, just fairly straight highway. No extremes.
I'd say you're in pretty good shape then. With basic tools, a good spare tire, ballast resistor, checked over rubber components, certainty on the brakes AND a chase car, not too sure what can go wrong.

Start slow, keep good distances and get to know her well on this trip.

Then I think you shall be fine. Steady 100 mile highway cruising is very easy for these cars, more so than 10 miles of city traffic. Because they are not sentient beings, they don't know they're 50 years old. Inspecting rubber is a good idea, but it sounds like your seller isn't a maniac. I don't know if I've ever seen a rad hose blow, except in a horror movie; in which case keep driving, it's better than having your liver eaten. (Yet I've had radiators and core plugs blow... what spares do you take for that?) and sheeze with the ballast resistor! In a pinch any piece of wire or a paperclip works! And I've never had one fail in zillions of Moparz.

Let your ol' man drive it the first leg just because he'll notice any weirdness via experience.

But if you're 17, couldn't you just get an old car app for your iPhone?

*apologizes for cartoon violence

Then I think you shall be fine. Steady 100 mile highway cruising is very easy for these cars, more so than 10 miles of city traffic. Because they are not sentient beings, they don't know they're 50 years old. Inspecting rubber is a good idea, but it sounds like your seller isn't a maniac. I don't know if I've ever seen a rad hose blow, except in a horror movie; in which case keep driving, it's better than having your liver eaten. (Yet I've had radiators and core plugs blow... what spares do you take for that?) and sheeze with the ballast resistor! In a pinch any piece of wire or a paperclip works! And I've never had one fail in zillions of Moparz.

Let your ol' man drive it the first leg just because he'll notice any weirdness via experience.

But if you're 17, couldn't you just get an old car app for your iPhone?

*apologizes for cartoon violence

I was raised the good way, I'm an old soul haha, I have no cell phone. By the way I wanted this specific car. Finding a specific mopar is not very easy

Watch those frickin PA cops. I got popped for speeding on a return trip to CT from buying front and rear glass on the OH-PA line. Cost me $125 in fees on top of the fine, plus $2 to pay it online. Two states I don't speed in, PA and VA. Though I hopefully won't see much of either in the future.

Yea, just pretty much check the tires and the oil levels and go. Some basic tools are handy and it would surprise me if there wasn't already a spare ballast resistor in the glove box.

One very handy thing to have is a couple of antifreeze jugs. Fill one with water and leave the other empty. You can get gas with the empty one... Most gas stations don't have anything to lend out. A cell phone and a AAA card are your friends.

Back