Dodge Dart GTS 440

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The Dodge Dart GTS 440 Was So Dangerous It Made A Corvair Look Like A Volvo | Carscoops
1969-Dodge-Dart-GTS-440-00019.jpg

Nice car, crappy article. Probably written by some millennial that never drove a car like that. That he used the pics from the "for sale" ad speaks volumes.

I owed a '69 340 4spd Dart. That was a great car. Also had a '69 383 4spd Dart that I bought without an engine. I never got a chance to do anything with it and ended up selling it right before I got married (the first time LOL).

My brother had a 69 Dart Swinger with a 340. He also has a 69 Dart GTS 4 speed. He transplanted a 440 in it and we put a Dana 60 in it with 4:56's. That car was very fast. He parked the car on the street in front of our house. He took the driveshaft out of the car to keep the car from being stolen, Our neighborhood wasn't the safest. He kept the driveshaft in the trunk. One night, someone hit the car in the left rear so hard that the driveshaft pierced the right rear quarter panel. It was a hit and run. I dont know how that car drove away with that impact. My brother's Dart was totaled.

That is a lot of words, just to admit that the author is a wee man. Seriously if you can't stop a 10" manual brake, 3500# car you need to buy a gym membership. I'm not saying it will haul down like Bob's Redeye, but in 1969 it is adequate. Manual verses power steering is apples and oranges. They are both okay and they both are not great all the time. For a daily driver power is worth the penalties.
Big block A bodies are the most fun cars I have ever driven. Very reckless, unruly, and simple. If you use modern parts to refine one it will lose all of it's personality and be just a car.

Had a 67 GTS, try to explain these to most people. Supposedly you could not get power brakes on these, but it was on the broadcast sheet.

DSC06549.JPG
60997.jpg
DSC02469.JPG
70987.jpg

A local guy had one of these, white with black stripe and black interior. 440 with a 727. He has since moved, I last saw it over 20 yrs ago

In all seriousness, I'd use a low deck 383. Waaaaaaay easier
Just throw a 440 pie tin on it.
And they sound the same with Thush mufflers.....
The RB is ready and waiting, I need to rebuild a 383 if I was to go that route. I've heard I'm in for a fun time with an RB, but everything I have is for one, so I'm doing it.

The RB is ready and waiting, I need to rebuild a 383 if I was to go that route. I've heard I'm in for a fun time with an RB, but everything I have is for one, so I'm doing it.
You wanted to get rid of those pesky inner wheelwells anyway...

Back