Dodge EV Day 2021

Until you will be able to charge a fuel cell/ battery with minutes or swap out a battery on the go within minutes it is all useless. There will be hundreds of millions of batteries around the country waiting at the local station to be swapped in. It's useless to most.
Until the power grid can handle all of the charging of millions of batteries and we aren't asked to wait till off peak hours , it's all useless to most.
Until we can make electric energy without burning fossil fuels efficiently its all useless.
It is nothing more than a novelty at this point....
The human race is doomed .

(Creaking grid? Just don't try to charge "anything" in TX when it's 15 degrees F. What is the lowest ambient temp the batteries (vehicle and mass storage) will work at?)

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

For starters, you basically have separate east-coast and west-coast power grids in the US. You need to invest in high-capacity links between them, to get electricity from where it's being generated to where it's needed presently. There was a recent study that showed this infrastructure would pay for itself; jurisdictions presently have to give away their excess electricity generated from wind and solar during off-peak times, whereas they could charge decent rates for it if they could get it to where there was demand. The report got buried because politics.

Both wind and solar power are "use it or lose it" generating sources, the power must be used as it is generated. Yes there is an advantage to more interconnecting of the grid to disburse power more efficiently. This comes at a cost of a possible catastrophic failure that could take out the whole grid. That was part of the logic to having the three major separate grids to start with. That aside, there will always be a potential surplus of solar power on bright sunny days during summer and a shortage of solar power on rainy, stormy days in winter. Wind power is always going to be problematic as the winds are variable and often unpredictable. One can install a large solar or wind array and hook it to a very large battery pack to store the surplus electricity. This would eliminate the lose it part of the equation. But this is a very expensive proposition as the battery systems are high cost to install and do no last very long. In this area a 7kw solar array with the battery pack will run in excess of $100k, it would produce enough power and power storage to run a medium sized home for about 3 days with no regeneration. This is not a cost effective solution. It is also not a viable long term solution as the solar panels and windmills only have about a 20 year maximum useful life. If the equipment was of ChiCom manufacture, it is only about 10 years.

Dave

Thanks for posting the Dodge segment of that total video!

How the battery power is apportioned out and at what rates would be the function of the software running things.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Here's a question for anyone who knows. As the batteries in an EV degrade and weaken over time does the power output from the motor also weaken accordingly? Lets say a 3 year old battery in a 1,000 hp EV is only capable of 80% of it's original capacity, will the EV now be limited to 80% of its original 1,000 hp figure? Or will it simply be 80% of the original run time/range? Or a combo of both?

As the Lithium Ion Batteries degrade, they hold the charge for less time. They don't necessarily loose total voltage. So you'll be able to keep the 1000hp number, it's just only going to have 1000hp 20% less of the run time than it had before.

As far as current battery technology goes, Lead Acid batteries are still the go-to if you want a use life of 10 years. Some times you can get more out of them, but it depends on how well you treat them. Lithium only had a use life of 2 years about 10 years ago. Some even only had a use life of 6 months. These EV companies fixed this by figuring out that fully charging and fully discharging Lithium batteries damages them more than Lead Acid batteries. Now, current EVs are only charging to 80% and discharging between 40% and 20%. They also heat and cool the batteries in order to keep them in their peak operating range and protect them from harmful temperatures. This is how they are getting 5 or more years out of the current Lithium battery technology.

If you're trying to figure out what's next, start investing in Graphene and Supercapacitor companies. These technologies can be charged to full within 30 seconds, hold a charge as long as lithium can, are cheaper to make, and use less harmful materials than Lithium Batteries. Also, Graphene, as long as it doesn't take a heavy impact, will have a service life longer than any battery currently on the market. They already sell graphene charge packs for your cell phone.
That's what I'm waiting for to replace the battery pack on my electric tractor:

Well a new stock Tesla Plaid now will do mid 9 second quarter mile on street tires at 150 mph and a best of 9.2 1/4 mile. Seems like everyone else is a little late.

You can bet that the 2024 eMuscle Dodge will be faster coming out of the gate.

Dodge has no choice. Just what the USA needs a legal 8 second car in the hands of the general public.

IF we can keep Millenials buying cars, namely Dodges(!), the same generation which many thought would not buy cars at all, then things will work out fine. It was a very nice video!

CBODY67

IF we can keep Millenials buying cars, namely Dodges(!), the same generation which many thought would not buy cars at all, then things will work out fine. It was a very nice video!

CBODY67

Just look at Carlisle now. The modern muscle is the biggest class at Carlisle. Even bigger than the B or E body classes. A lot of millennial's driving the early Hellcat cars.

2024 Dodge Challenger eMuscle: What We Know So Far

2024-dodge-challenger-emuscle-mmp-1-1625779353.png

Just look at Carlisle now. The modern muscle is the biggest class at Carlisle. Even bigger than the B or E body classes. A lot of millennial's driving the early Hellcat cars.

Yeah but that section was bigger than those you mentioned when PT cruisers were the bomb.
Bottom line there is people as they get older rather have comfort and reliability. I like it too but I'm at Carlisle, old car required.

The Plaid is damn fast but there is fast and fast. It doesn't crack the top 20 for a production/street legal Nurburgring lap time.

As the Lithium Ion Batteries degrade, they hold the charge for less time. They don't necessarily loose total voltage. So you'll be able to keep the 1000hp number, it's just only going to have 1000hp 20% less of the run time than it had before.

As far as current battery technology goes, Lead Acid batteries are still the go-to if you want a use life of 10 years. Some times you can get more out of them, but it depends on how well you treat them. Lithium only had a use life of 2 years about 10 years ago. Some even only had a use life of 6 months. These EV companies fixed this by figuring out that fully charging and fully discharging Lithium batteries damages them more than Lead Acid batteries. Now, current EVs are only charging to 80% and discharging between 40% and 20%. They also heat and cool the batteries in order to keep them in their peak operating range and protect them from harmful temperatures. This is how they are getting 5 or more years out of the current Lithium battery technology.

If you're trying to figure out what's next, start investing in Graphene and Supercapacitor companies. These technologies can be charged to full within 30 seconds, hold a charge as long as lithium can, are cheaper to make, and use less harmful materials than Lithium Batteries. Also, Graphene, as long as it doesn't take a heavy impact, will have a service life longer than any battery currently on the market. They already sell graphene charge packs for your cell phone.
That's what I'm waiting for to replace the battery pack on my electric tractor:

Electric tractors may be attractive, until you start adding a PTO, 3 point hitch and a bucket…

Electric tractors may be attractive, until you start adding a PTO, 3 point hitch and a bucket…

Or you start doing actual work and it needs to run 8 hr or more everyday.

For an old tractor turned toy it's fine. Not for me, but it works.

This tractor will actually plow for an hour and a half, rake hay for an hour and 45 minutes, and has a 15 mile range. It has room for more batteries. It's never run out of power, it's only run out of charge. New battery technology will quadruple the charge capacity and reduce weight. With modern batteries, it'll weigh as much as stock, give 6hrs worth of heavy duty work, and charge over the span of lunch and a bathroom break.

With that being said, I'd rather not charge my tractor if I don't have to, unless I have a way to charge it readily available on the property.

Or you start doing actual work and it needs to run 8 hr or more everyday.

For an old tractor turned toy it's fine. Not for me, but it works.
At some point in the future, tractors will probably be autonomous, will go out in the field on their own, communicate with each other over a mesh network to work together, will be able to continue working at all hours of the day, and return to their charging stations when needed.

Back