1991 DODGE SPIRIT RT -WAS FASTEST SEDAN PRODUCED IN THE WORLD
DODGE SPIRIT RT-1991 FASTEST IN THE WORLD
98,000 ORIGINAL MILES -14`S IN QUARTER 0-60 UNDER IN 5`S SMALL MODS
WILL GO 12`S FACTORY 224 HORSE NEVER MODIFIED FACTORY STOCK ORIGINAL
4 CYLINDER ENGINE .INTER COOLED TURBO LOTUS HEAD HEAVY DUTY GETRAG
5 SPEED TRANNY HEAVY DUTY SUSPENSION NEW CORRECT SIZE TIRES 4 WHEEL
DISC BRAKES AIR CONDITIONING TILT,CRUISE ,STEREO,FOG LIGHTS+ MORE
CLEAN INTERIOR RUNS BUT IT HAS BEEN IN STORAGE ONLY 434 WHITE 774 RED
WERE PRODUCED HAVE THE ONLY RT GRANDMAS SLEEPER .
HAS LOW MILES KEEP OR SALE TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK .
NO TRADES OR NO LOWBALLERS
CLEAN TITLE.HAS PAINT FLAKE ON THE TOP AND HOOD THEY DID CAUSE OF FACTORY PAINT
NO TEXT ... LEAVE PHONE NUMBER OR NO RESPONSE
$4,200.. CASH ........... BRADENTON .FL
image 1 of 2
00R0R_dZqGlX2LfTC_600x450.jpg

00202_lTlloJGdQxS_600x450.jpg

00R0R_dZqGlX2LfTC_600x450.jpg

00202_lTlloJGdQxS_600x450.jpg

reply by email:
[email protected]

I remember getting the sales bulletin on this. We weren't very impressed as we were more interested in the Daytona's and Lasers back then. A fast 4 door wasn't a big draw. I can not remember ever driving one but probably a lot like what the Bare Naked Ladies sing....A Nice Reliant Automobile....

I have Jer and turboomni to blame for this new found hunt I'm on.
Maybe it will fade.
Then again, maybe not...

Those cars were fast. It was the "Euro Sedan" look of the late '80s - early 90s. The 2.2 & 2.5 turbos combined with the K car platform and a beefier suspension made for some fast sedans. I always liked the Lancer / LeBaron GTS body styles. I had an 89 Shadow ES with the 2.5 turbo and a Town & Country Station Wagon with a 2.2 turbo. The T&C was a real sleeper, complete with wood grain & luggage rack. If I could find a decent one today for the right price I would be tempted to use it for a nice weather daily driver.

I had a regular Spirit ES with the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6. I absolutely loved that car. Traded it for a 3.5 Intrepid & loved that car too.

I believe for a while the Lotus headed 2.2 R/T engine held the record (for Chrysler) for the engine with the most HP per cubic inch

Town & Country Station Wagon with a 2.2 turbo. The T&C was a real sleeper, complete with wood grain & luggage rack. If I could find a decent one today for the right price I would be tempted to use it for a nice weather daily driver.
My 87 is fair weather use only, it turns a few heads
20170606_195019.jpg

Nice factory sleeper concept. Hopefully the 5 speed is better than the sponge box in my old Omni.

I upgraded the stock tranny in my Omni glhs from the stock 525 to the Getrag 555 same as in this Spirit. It was /is the stongest transmission you can get for these cars. Guys made hybrids of these tranny's installing 555 guts into 525's etc but I don't know much about these. The 525 was rod actuated which was rather vague to shift and the 555 are cables which is much more positive. I got my 555 out of a LeBaron GTS turbo 2 car if I remember correctly and had it rebuilt and beefed up abit and a posi unit. The main reason the Omni glhs was limited to 175 hp and 200 something ft lbs of torque was so the 525 tanny would live. Many 525's were blown up on these cars and is the reason I went to a 555. Stan that is a cool car but those doors scare me. Is the rust there the tip of a big iceburg?
Love to see some under hood shots too to see how the engine was set up from the factory.

I did own at one time a 89 turbo Caravan I got with a blown engine. I had the engine rebuilt and put on a bigger Garret turbocharger and a very large junkyard intercooler and upped the boost. It was a hoot!!

Last edited:
2.2 [135 ci] DOHC 16 valve lotus head intercooled. I don't know much about these engines. I do remember they can be costly to repair ,[the engines] If you are interested in this car with this engine I would do some research on this.
Personally I would stick to a SOHC 8 valve unless you have dreams of a 500 hp drag car. Many more 8 valves were made and parts are not a problem.

Last edited:
I owned one in the late 90s before the Internet and easy to find parts were a "thing". It was a blast. However I was always afraid of grenading some expensive part, so I sold it.

My buyer came out of a Taurus SHO. I do recall him hitting second gear and saying "Shiiittt! This thing is way faster than my SHO!"

Sold.

A buddy of mine had one new. I can't remember if it was a Spirit RT or Lancer RT as it was a Canadian car but the same platform as this one. White too.

It was pretty rare apparently as it had the better of the intercooled engines (turbo2?3?4?) and a 5 speed. Supposedly 50 made according to legend, who knows?

It would haul the mail and he beat it like a rented mule. Not sure if he ever got it in the 12's but he had every MP trick in the book on it and it would eat 5.0 Mustangs for lunch.

Put over 100K on the original 2.2 and then put in a turbo 2.5.

Kevin

The 9 second 5 speed manual Omni glh video I posted had a 8 valve head. He upped the displacement to a 2.5 block. The engine isn't even a crossflow head,,just like a slant 6. Actually it was the last engine the designer of the slant six developed ,the 2.2. I call it the slant 4. Anyway my rambling is only to point out that the 8 valve sohc can easily support 250 + hp on pump premium with intercooling and 250+ torque reliably. Not bad for 135 cubic inches. So the question is how much weight you want that engine to PULL with a body style and your butt in it and comfort compared to more performance with less comfort and weight of the car. The Rampage is the the lightest like Jer has and then the Omni. Next would be the Charger and up from that would be the Shadow. Beyond that I am not sure on the weights of the cars.

Last edited:
There are easy tricks to boost hp out of turbo car. Not sure if they work the same on the lotus headed engine. They all come with risk of melting pistons, but that is just another reason to put better parts back in.

What I specified was the very max on a stock engine with proper management on a 8 valve engine. The problem is it is very easy as you know to blow up a very good turbo engine no matter what parts you have in it with poor management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back