Does anybody know more about the 1970 Police Coronets?

Michael_

Reaction score
Thanks to the User @DeltaV i got hold of the rare Dodge Police Fleet Brochure from 1970.
He also said that there are more police car experts over here on FCBO instead of FBBO.
Im already on FBBO for quite some time but also know this forum almost as much as long.
But as i dont own a c body (despite interested and will most likely own one at some point in the future), i did not sign up earlier.

Well but as DeltaV seem to think that you guys - especially @Pete Kaczmarski - know more about police cars
- which i am very interested in - i decided now is the right time to join FCBO as well.

Well the Brochure already answered most of my questions regarding the 1970 coronet police cars.
For example i did not knew if they built any 2 door/coupe versions of the car. (as 2 door police cars are even rarer than the 4 doors)
The brochure clearly states it could be had as sedan, coupe and station wagon.
So at least it was offered as coupe which means most likely at least a few have been built.

The brochure also states that the biggest engine available for the police coronet this year was the 383 with 330hp.
This means according to the brochure, if you wanted the 440 you had to step up to the polara model.
Which kind of sucks, especially as the 440 could be had in the RT and super bee version coronet this year.

So my question basically is:
Does anybody know of any 1970 coronet police cars which got special ordered with the 440?
Or was the 383 really the biggest engine they ever put in a police coronet that year?

You could get the slant 6, 318, or 330 horse 383 (383 was also offered in 2BBL 290 hp) in the Belvedere and Coronet Mopar cruisers for 1970. As far as I know, the 440 T-Code 350 horsepower was offered only on the Fury, Chrysler and Polara cruisers with the 375 horsepower, U-Code engine offered as an option for those models. There was also a police conversion option for the 350 horse 440 that featured the high performance exhaust and a different carb that raised the total horsepower to 360 for the T-Code engine. The Coronet and Belvedere were mostly outfitted for urban and other local police departments. The Fury and the Polara were more set up for highway patrol applications and got the larger engines for high speed freeway pursuits, and they were capable of burying the 140mph speedo.
In answer to you question, I doubt that any Coronets police cruisers were built with the 440, but with Ma Mopar one learns never to say never.
Mopar did offer the 440 in the B-Body fury cruiser 1977-1978.

Dave

Last edited:
Well im just asking because in 1961 the police brochure also stated the biggest engine for the dart to be a 383.
But later in 61 they also offered the 413 without printing new brochures.
Also the CHP got Polaras instead of darts which officially also have not been available as police cars according to the brochure.

So i thought maybe there have been some coronets with the 440 even though the brochure says that was not available.
But seems like the 383 was really the biggest engine for the police coronet that year.
At least i did not found anything that says otherwise yet.

Hi Michael!

You named it: officially the 440cui-engine was never offered in the Police-b-bodies of the high-comp-era (67-72)...only in the later years, when "Fury" turned from c-Body to a b-Body (do not pinpoint me on the year).

I always wondered, why this was the case, as the 440-engine was not only already factory-available in the civilian-b-bodies, but also the 440-police-powerplant was already existing.

Somebody here has an answer on that?

Hi Michael!

You named it: officially the 440cui-engine was never offered in the Police-b-bodies of the high-comp-era (67-72)...only in the later years, when "Fury" turned from c-Body to a b-Body (do not pinpoint me on the year).

I always wondered, why this was the case, as the 440-engine was not only already factory-available in the civilian-b-bodies, but also the 440-police-powerplant was already existing.

Somebody here has an answer on that?

I willt ell ya in the "Road Stop" soon:)

Carsten

I willt ell ya in the "Road Stop" soon:)

Yeah i'm wondering too. :D

My mind went here when I read the title.

enburgh-according-to-local-media-reutersmike-segar-united-states-tags-crime-law-obituary-2D0J4F4.jpg

Back