Does anybody know?

xxcarguy

Reaction score
I need an air compressor that will deliver 50 CFM every 5 seconds to run an automatic press.
Can I also put an auxiliary tank with it so the compressor doesn’t run non stop.
I don’t know what the formula is to get the CFM from the HP rating.
All help will be appreciated.
Thanks -Galen

CFM is easy to get it’s the pressure required that takes more HP. Your formula will need to factor that in as well.

If you contact Ingersoll-Rand, they have spec sheets that can set this up for you. You are going to need a sizable reserve tank or a very large compressor.

Dave

Just reread this and you will need a considerably large compressor. You stated you need 50 cfm every 5 secs but I believe you mean 50 cubic feet every 5 sec which equates to 50 x 12 = 600 cfm.
Again the required pressure will need to be factored in to obtain horsepower requirements.

Just reread this and you will need a considerably large compressor. You stated you need 50 cfm every 5 secs but I believe you mean 50 cubic feet every 5 sec which equates to 50 x 12 = 600 cfm.
Again the required pressure will need to be factored in to obtain horsepower requirements.

It would help if he would post a spec sheet for the press stating what its requirements are.

If it requires 50cfm for 5 seconds, that's 4.16 cubic feet of air. Assuming the 5 seconds is how long it takes the press to cycle, the real question is how many times a minute does the press cycle? Once you know that, you can choose a compressor with the appropriate reserve capacity to maintain the correct CFM.

Unless this thing only cycles once a minute or less, you aren't going to be running it with anything that resembles a home shop compressor. I'm thinking rotary screw and those are $$$.

Kevin

This is the air specs they give.

820F0B50-C319-49DA-85EB-D65A8BABF9A4.jpeg

I’ll have to talk with somebody at the company that knows more than the sales guys.
Thanks for all the help. I knew I didn’t know what I needed.

What ever the press does, it requires 17.5 cfm at 100 psi steady flow. The psi is the carrier, the cfm is the working volume. That's a LOT of working volume! Does it show any other specs?

For example, my little shop compressor maxes about 7.5 cfm at 125 psi. Not enough volume and pressure would drop fast in a 27 gallon tank.

If you really want to keep up, I'd suggest a 220 v 3 phase compressor with at least a 60 gallon tank. You can use something this which will draw a bit more power, and is maxed out.
Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor — 5 HP, 230 Volt, 1-Phase, 60-Gallon Vertical, Model# SS5L5 | Northern Tool

Or this.. a better choice.
Ingersoll Rand 5HP 80 Gallon Vertical Air Compressor
Sadly I cannot find the CFM on it...

Keep in mind that the bigger the tank, the more volume it will hold which reduces cycling time.

The salesman said 40 CFM.
10 HP, 120 gallon tank, 40 CFM.
E-mailed the company technician and he told us 24 CFM was enough to run the press which means 7.5 HP 80 gallon tank, 34 CFM and $1,500 dollars less. Will talk to another tech.
The press is an automatic shirt printing press. 10 colors 12 station. The print heads are air powered. The rotating mass is electric.

3 phase electric brought into the building will cost $10,000 when its all said and done.
If it were my building I would do it but it’s not.

These are great air compressors made in Canada. I have customers that have had them for years. Specs are on the page.
175 psi @ 27.5 cfm. Auto drain...
Snap-on Store

Back