Does anyone drive a C Body as a daily driver year round?

General Discussion

1. kingbowl93

kingbowl93 Active Member

Hey Everyone,

I thought it would be interesting to see who here on FCBO actually drives a C Body daily or at least semi-daily year round? I am asking this because I am looking to determine if doing so is a sacrilege or not.

Also, if you do drive a C Body (or any classic for that matter) year round and you live in a snow State, what do you do to protect against corrosion? We all know rust is the biggest killer of any classic car.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Lefty71

Lefty71 Active Member

I live in a van. Luckily, not down by the river!

• Like Like x 2
  3. kingbowl93

kingbowl93 Active Member

I will start.

I drive a 1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series daily year round, through rain and NJ winters.

It is rust free, and I keep it rust free by liberally spraying the underside down with a product called "FLUID FILM" every few months. It is lanolin wool wax based, nice and tacky, and smells great IMO. It can be bought at most auto stores. I also make sure all the drains and frame rails are clean and clear to ensure no water builds up and am sure to wax the paint and chrome often.

I assume this method should also keep my C Bodies clean for year round driving if I choose to.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. crv

crv Senior Member

Looked up '88 Town Car, very nice big car.

5. kingbowl93

kingbowl93 Active Member

It isn't a C Body but almost feels as big and it is great for daily use still. Fuel injection, over drive transmission, etc. I get about 20 MPG mixed city high driving.

6. drpreposterous

drpreposterous Well-Known Member

While I have no personal experience with it, I've been told by at least 10 old car guys that Krown rust proofing will give even Rust Belt rides a fighting chance to survive...
    Krown Rust Control

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. The Goose

The Goose Senior Member

Yah I do. Besides my work truck for work. My 69 convertible is my only car. Yes, I drive it to work when I’m not required to drive the dang truck. I’ve driven these old CARS my whole life. They’re just CARS, if you can’t get past that then what’s the fun of it. I park em and walk away. I’ve had them messed with and stolen just like every other poor slob on the planet. If you’ve got a million dollar paint job it just ruins the fun. I’ve had those & you worried about the paint too much. It just sucks the fun out of it. Don’t take that the wrong way I absolutely love beautiful paint jobs.

A daily driver should be well maintained, reliable and easy to live with. Some people think you should suffer to daily a car - that’s missing the point. A Real daily driver is just that a fun ol car you hop in and go without preparing for Donner Pass every time you take off.

I love owning these time machines and will drive em till my time is up.

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. commando1

commando1 Mr. Natural FCBO Gold Member

No

• Like Like x 1
  9. Turboomni

Turboomni Senior Member

Don't drive it in the winter. At all. That's the best way to protect your car and enable someone else to enjoy it when you are gone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. The Goose

The Goose Senior Member

Forgot. I’m life long Sunny west coast & Arizona. I never wanted to live where it snows. So far it’s been worth it. The only salt my cars see is from the Pacific Coast Hwy.

11. 66Newyorker

66Newyorker Active Member

My wife and I do. It’s the only vehicle we have that she will drive. Can’t afford to have a vehicle that just sits in the garage looking good, and they were built to be driven.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY69

NY69 Member

Trying to keep the use to a minimum when there's salt on the roads, but when I need to, I'll fire her up!

CIMG0116.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  13. Turboomni

Turboomni Senior Member

That's fine ,I speak of salt roads up north.

14. mikedrini

mikedrini Active Member FCBO Gold Member

No chance of driving mine in the winter months here. Rust prevention aside, not only do I drive an hour both ways to work, but between the country roads I live on (up and down, side to side) as well as the interstate, forget it. Not to mention I have scary dreams of having to put the hammer down on my 4000 lb. body, rear drums/front calipers combo and watching my road whale sail on into an already-jackknifed 18 wheeler partially filled with logs.

Eff that noise. Keep the beast in a cage until she can be unleashed in the Spring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jct

jct Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

If i didn't live in apartment life, i would daily drive my 68 and on nice snowless days in the cold months

16. Turboomni

Turboomni Senior Member

I have driven my Fury as late as December one year. But that year there hadn't been any snow or ice and so there was no salt of any kind on the road. If it was a good day to drive and there was dried salt from a previous storm that had been laid down I would not have taken the car out.

17. 1970FuryConv

1970FuryConv Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

There's nothing wrong with making your C-body a DD. I don't do it because Hagerty won't insure a car that is a DD. (I believe this is true for all classic car insurance companies) I like having full value replacement insurance, so I drive my C-body Fury's on special occasions and drive my 1990 Dodge W150 as my DD.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 1971 300 Alvah

1971 300 Alvah New Member

My only 4 wheeled vehicle is a '71 Chrysler 300... If I'm not driving it, I'm riding one of my Harleys. I try not to drive Alvah too much, because she's thisty! But, it's not a bad car. A little difficult having 460 foot pounds of torque and an open differential on a snow day, but it can be done.

• Like Like x 3
  19. jct

jct Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

How many cans does it take to cover everything?

20. 67nykr

67nykr Member

Mine just went up on blocks and was tarped last Saturday. I won't subject it to what they treat the roads with in western Pennsylvania. Come about April it will come back out. I drive it to work a couple times a week. Drive it to camp on occasion, 120 mi round trip. I didn't buy it to leave it sit around.

• Like Like x 1