Door Hinge

Gavin Jeffrey

Reaction score
Hi,
My right front door on my 68 New Yorker 4 door hardtop will not stay in the open position, it looks like the spring has broken on the bottom hinge.
Does anyone have a lower hinge spring and pin or a good complete unit.
Thankyou

I don't know what spring goes on your 68, but the point of my post here Door Hinge Spring--Found a substitue is that there's nothing magical about most springs, be they compression or extension type. It can easily be matched in length, diameter, and wire gauge from many sources, including Depot. Of course, this wouldn't be true if the spring is some sort of special design such as an E-Body leverage spring.

And remember that a used hinge has had a zillion lifetime openings if it's a driver's door unit. How many more openings will that old spring take? :wideyed:

Once you carefully measure your broken spring, let us know what you find at a hardware store, or the Internet.

Last edited:
Hi,
My right front door on my 68 New Yorker 4 door hardtop will not stay in the open position, it looks like the spring has broken on the bottom hinge.
Does anyone have a lower hinge spring and pin or a good complete unit.
Thankyou
I have hinges from a 68 Fury 4 door. I think it will work.

That particular spring probably is somewhat universal for many years and brands of vehicles with similar hinge designs. There is an appropriate spring compressor that also works on rear axle spring-loaded GM PosiTraction (or similar) units. Used to compress the clutch springs for installation, where there are four springs in the unit.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back