Door panel color change?

Fredo

Reaction score
So right now my interior is black, however the boss (wife) has decided she likes the idea of a red leather interior. I have admit I'm ok with that call. I know I can order the carpet and head liner in red, and since I own my a leather working business I can also order the leather for the seats at a discounted price. That leaves the door panels. I'm wondering if I can change the color by spraying it? I understand the concept of getting the substrate clean and oil free. I'm just wondering if the spray will hold up?
Has anyone done this, will it work?

Forgot to add I'm thinking of trying the ColorBond products. Worst case is I waste 25 bucks and still have to have them recovered...

Last edited:
I am having my interior restored by a guy that has been doing it for 42 years (it seems like he has had my car for 41). He had a cleaner, then dyes and clear coating on all of the plastics, dash, and some of the vinyl. He insists it will hold up. I can only take his word for it, so I would say you can do the same to your panels.

I don't know what brand of products he used. I can find out if you are interested.

The rear door panels on my convertible were green and were dyed brown somewhere in their lives. If you look close, they are slightly lighter than the front door panels. That may be fading... or it may be that it never really matched right. Either way, they've held up for the seven years the previous owner had it.

I'll respray all of them eventually to make them match.

In looking into this, I've been told that a bad dye color can be removed using brake fluid. I can't say that for sure though.

I wonder how many six figure Fords and Chevys crossing the block at B-J and Mecum are dye jobs?

Posted via Topify on Android

I'm thinking out loud but since the door panels do not get much repeated contact it should hold up fine. Also I can use it on the dash pad. I may leave the sheet metal part of the dash black for a little contrast.

Back