Door spring stops for '65 Chrysler 300 convertible

Steven E Hiatt

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for the spring stops in the doors for a '65 Chrysler 300 convertible?

First, a spring is a spring, unless it's a specific torsion spring like those used in the EBod doors. So, if your door uses either a compression or a tension spring, you can find a match at Depot or the McMaster catalogue, etc, etc. You'll need to measure and match the length and diameter of course, but the diameter of the actual wire is equally important so measure that very accurately. If you don't have a dial caliper your local hardware store will have a cheap plastic version vs. a $$$ stainless steel instrument.

As you can see, I came very close with a visit to Depot, but with exact dimensions the Internet can find it for your instantly.

Broken Door Spring.JPG

Depot Spring.JPG

Home Depot door spring.JPG

Thanks for the quick response. The spring parti I'm looking for is smaller and part of what keeps the door from closing on you leg.

Thanks for the quick response. The spring parti I'm looking for is smaller and part of what keeps the door from closing on you leg.
Perhaps you missed my point. All those hinge springs thru all those years are what keeps the door from closing on your leg. It's up to you to find a spring that has the same type, length, diameter, and wire size to solve your problem. Chrysler sold compete hinges with the spring installed, and that's looonnng ago. They did not contemplate 60 years later that a particular spring with a particular set of parameters being available at the Mopar parts counter.

So, are you looking for a spring or something else? Something else is a parts hunt. A spring is a spring if you can match the parameters I've mentioned above.

Last edited:
65 Chrysler hinge.jpg

This is a hinge on my '65. There are 3 parts that hold the door open (4 if you count the pin that holds the roller) I don't suspect you will find the comb or the roller separate from a replacement hinge.

This looks the same as my 66 Imperial. Here is where I bought the repair kits

Dan Traynoff
202 S. Elmwood Ave.
Waukegan, IL. 60085
[email protected]

Last edited:
I also couldn't find Lowell Howe on the net.
I think I found it under Howe Auto Parts. It appears the Lowell sold the business just before he passed away in 2015 and his sons didn't want to run the business. I requested the part from them and I'll let you know their response.

Great, When I bought from Dan a couple of years ago, the parts were delivered 4 days after I paid.
Springs are a royal pain to get in. Good luck!!
Jim

Perhaps you missed my point. All those hinge springs thru all those years are what keeps the door from closing on your leg. It's up to you to find a spring that has the same type, length, diameter, and wire size to solve your problem. Chrysler sold compete hinges with the spring installed, and that's looonnng ago. They did not contemplate 60 years later that a particular spring with a particular set of parameters being available at the Mopar parts counter.

So, are you looking for a spring or something else? Something else is a parts hunt. A spring is a spring if you can match the parameters I've mentioned above.
Hi Trace, It is not uncommon for me to miss someone's point. In this case, I did a crappy job of describing what I needed. Somehow, Dan was able to decipher what i was really asking and has me on my way. This forum is incredible with its member's willingness to respond quickly in an effort to help. Greatly appreciated.

Hi Trace, It is not uncommon for me to miss someone's point. In this case, I did a crappy job of describing what I needed. Somehow, Dan was able to decipher what i was really asking and has me on my way. This forum is incredible with its member's willingness to respond quickly in an effort to help. Greatly appreciated.
I'm glad you were able to find those parts through this forum. And yes, as often happens with "Help!" posts, it takes a few questions and answers to figure out what someone is asking. Some parts and problems have common wording, others not so much....like door hinges, for instance. :poke:

And don't get me started on helping someone with ignition timing. Static, total, crank degrees, distributor degrees, centrifugal vs. vacuum advance, knock, ping, preignition, detonation.....sheesh!

I wrote up the process to replace the roller, pin and spring from hardware store parts in my thread "Unfinished Project", if you come up dry elsewhere.

I wrote up the process to replace the roller, pin and spring from hardware store parts in my thread "Unfinished Project", if you come up dry elsewhere.
Hi Philip, I may have the parts located, but i would be interested in any guidance in the installation process.
Thanks.

Back