Door trim & mirror removal

thethee

Reaction score
So here's the thing, I've never removed trim before but from what I can tell it's pretty delicate and easy to mess up. I'm looking to remove the trim on the top of the door, pictured below, and can't really tell how it's attached to the door.

Also, the door mirror is being a real pain, can that be removed without taking out the glass? Access seems real tight so if anyone has done this before I'd like to hear some pointers

Car is a 1975 Imperial by the way.

Any and all help will be appreciated

20220320_110834.jpg

Door glass will not need to be removed, but you will need to remove the armrest and door panel, and raise the glass all the way up. Having thin arms and such to get into the door to get a socket on the one or two nuts that hold the mirror onto the door will help.

Thanks Ross, that is good to hear since the FSM doesn't mention the mirrors whatsoever. Would you by any chance happen to know what size socket fits those nuts?

Nope, but I would assume you need deep sockets to fit over the studs and nuts, likely 1/4" drive because they're small, and a long extension to get you down where you can move things around and have room to twist the tool.

Good luck!

I'll figure it out, the hardest part will be reaching them and if that works out I should be able to reach them again with a different socket if I have to

That just leaves the trim which I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Will be attempting a home paint job and these will be the last hurdle :)

Sorry - forgot to answer that - the trim is likely held on by spring clips that snap into pre-drilled holes in the door body. The clips can usually be squeezed and pushed back up through the holes. If they are plastic clips, they may have a central plastic bit that pokes through and spreads the clip out. Pull that bit out, but don't lose it. The clip then should be free to collapse and you can push the clip up through the hole.

You may find that it's a combination of those type of clips, and that once you've got the one off near the rear edge of the door, that the molding will slide along the remaining clips, and that the molding will have one or two reliefs in it that are not visible when it's installed, but allow the molding to come free of the clip.

You'll need the plastic piece to spread the clip out again when reinstalling.

Hi Theo,

Left side door mirror, 1970 Fury, door glass in place. Nuts were 3/8 inch.

Remote mirror, broken pivot: cannot see studs is because of a body panel along the top of the door. From bottom of inside door, 3/8 inch long socket, 12 inch extension, 6 inch extension, ¼ inch to 3/8 inch adapter, 3/8 inch ratchet. Remove both nuts. Pull mirror straight up remove with remote steel cords attached.

2935337 LS NOS, Side View Mirror: install new gasket over studs. Ribbed side faces up. Rib is outside the mounting base all the way around. Assistant held in place while I installed the 2 nuts using the same tools that I use to remove. No torque spec in Chapter 3 of factory service manual. Tightened a bit beyond firm. Cleaned mirror with Windex and rag. Ben

top trim is held in place with spring clips. i used a wide screw driver to pop em off w no damage
This is encouraging

Hi Theo,

Left side door mirror, 1970 Fury, door glass in place. Nuts were 3/8 inch.

Remote mirror, broken pivot: cannot see studs is because of a body panel along the top of the door. From bottom of inside door, 3/8 inch long socket, 12 inch extension, 6 inch extension, ¼ inch to 3/8 inch adapter, 3/8 inch ratchet. Remove both nuts. Pull mirror straight up remove with remote steel cords attached.

2935337 LS NOS, Side View Mirror: install new gasket over studs. Ribbed side faces up. Rib is outside the mounting base all the way around. Assistant held in place while I installed the 2 nuts using the same tools that I use to remove. No torque spec in Chapter 3 of factory service manual. Tightened a bit beyond firm. Cleaned mirror with Windex and rag. Ben

Thanks Ben, here's to hoping those bolts aren't rusted in place

I installed side mirror on 71 Fury with electric windows today. Studs are horizontal. Sat on concrete and reached up from the bottom of the door, behind the glass, and loosened the 2 nuts with a 3/8 wrench. Driver door, did it left handed.

How'd the job go for you?

Thanks for checking in Ben but I haven't gotten around to this one just yet. It's been a busy couple days.

I was able to remove the front clip and rear bumper though.

Formal mirrors can be done with the glass rolled up...I've done it many times...just very fiddly.

Thanks for checking in Ben but I haven't gotten around to this one just yet. It's been a busy couple days.

I was able to remove the front clip and rear bumper though.
Double take.
How'd front clip and rear bumper get into door trim removal? IOW, :wtf:

Look forward to your pics.
It's hard to get a body man to do work on our cars in Virginia.
Are body people more willing and available in the Netherlands?

Well.. money is a little tight so I'll be doing most of it myself with some help from my friends haha. Might not all be done "the right way" but I'll do my best and have fun. And if in the end it looks half decent I'll be happy with it

Well.. money is a little tight so I'll be doing most of it myself with some help from my friends haha. Might not all be done "the right way" but I'll do my best and have fun. And if in the end it looks half decent I'll be happy with it
Thanks, Theo. Maybe you can publish some how to and teach this US friend something.

Great succes, the trim and mirrors are removed!

It was indeed very very fiddly as access was terrible but the mirror nuts were 3/8 as expected. Socket didn't fit but was able to get a box wrench in there.

For future reference, the trim on top of the door has the same style clips as the door cards so no real trouble there.

On to the next!

Back