Door window removal

MBMayor

Reaction score
Redoing the power windows on my 78 Newport. Decided to take the windows hot to replace the window molding. Any suggestions on how to remove the window? Seems to be a plastic clip/nut the Phillip screw goes into, but it spins with the screw?

Thanks!!!!

Redoing the power windows on my 78 Newport. Decided to take the windows hot to replace the window molding. Any suggestions on how to remove the window? Seems to be a plastic clip/nut the Phillip screw goes into, but it spins with the screw?

Thanks!!!!

You will need to replace the plastic grommet. This website should have the part.

www.restorationspecialties.com/Products.html

Dave

If anyone has replaced a door window in a 78 Newport I'd love to talk with you. Trying to figure out how to remove the window. Grommet just spins and no way to get to it? Also where to source window chrome strip weather strip between the door and outer side of the window.

If anyone has replaced a door window in a 78 Newport I'd love to talk with you. Trying to figure out how to remove the window. Grommet just spins and no way to get to it? Also where to source window chrome strip weather strip between the door and outer side of the window.
It may be slightly different, but I may be able to help you. Just yesterday I was fixing my off-track window in my 72 Newport.
In mine, the window (drivers side) is mounted to a horizontal bar on the bottom, and a vertical track on the right. On the track (from back to front)
slider -> nylon washer -> window -> rubber washer -> wide, flat bolt. A screw goes through the back of the slider, all the way through the bolt. when I tried to loosen this, it just spun too. What I did was push as much pressure as I could on the nylon washer with my hand, to hold the screw still. Then I carefully spun the bolt off. It was difficult, and I was cutting my hands the whole way through. I don't know if the design on a 78 would be that different. I'm sure that it is similar.
If you can post a picture of where the window is mounted, I may be able to help you.

It may be slightly different, but I may be able to help you. Just yesterday I was fixing my off-track window in my 72 Newport.
In mine, the window (drivers side) is mounted to a horizontal bar on the bottom, and a vertical track on the right. On the track (from back to front)
slider -> nylon washer -> window -> rubber washer -> wide, flat bolt. A screw goes through the back of the slider, all the way through the bolt. when I tried to loosen this, it just spun too. What I did was push as much pressure as I could on the nylon washer with my hand, to hold the screw still. Then I carefully spun the bolt off. It was difficult, and I was cutting my hands the whole way through. I don't know if the design on a 78 would be that different. I'm sure that it is similar.
If you can post a picture of where the window is mounted, I may be able to help you.

Thanks Jon! See attached pics. Also what grease did you use on the rails?

Slide1.GIF

Slide2.GIF

Inked20180618_145309_LI.jpg
Inked20180618_145329_LI.jpg

This is what holds the window in on the vertical track on the right. You have to raise the window up until the slider reaches a hole in the door, then you have to reach from the large hole in the bottom of the door to it. You have to grab ahold of the white washer and push it in any direction as hard as you can without breaking something. Then try to undo the bolt. It's a real pain in the keyster.
On the horizontal bar, there is no slider, it is bolted directly to the window. The slider is on the scissor like arm that moves the window. These are probaby similar to get off. If you need, I am willing to take my own apart and take good pictures for you if you need it.
Good luck!
P.S. My grease was in decent condition, so I just used some old oil we had in the garage. And I have no idea where to get the trim, that's a question for someone else.
I actually think that the way the window is secured is a bad design.

Back