1. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Senior Member

Well it cooled enough to look under the car for the drain plugs as a core plug over the starter is leaking. Found it at 9/16" size but WTH! Does one ever get those things out? I've always managed to get them out of my Ford blocks to replace with petcocks but this one is a whole other thing. Hmm, wonder if I can get my electric impact wrench in there?

Also noticed while under the car what looked like the remnants of what was two rubber halves that comprised a transmission mount at the tail shaft. That definitely needs to be replaced and this seems easy with one single blot through the middle and oil on it. Took a look on Rock Auto and saw several that don't look like mine at all and then a polyurethane one that was two halves. Any opinion of what can be used here?

Last I got that special 727 pan gasket but I was unsure of the torque value. FSM says 150 in/lbs but that was before this gasket type ever appeared. I used 120 in/lbs and while under am completely dry front, back and left side but some leakage on the right side.

2. Yatzee

Yatzee Active Member

Forget the block drain plugs because you can do more damage than you can imagine with an impact - they have square heads? You should install a quality pan gasket and start at 8 ft-lbs and if it doesn't leak leave it at that. In the future it will be reusable. Make sure the rails of the pan are flat and no sealant needed.
    Fel-Pro Transmission Pan Gaskets TOS18583

59 Chrysler Royale pans are the same as yours. Where to get them is beyond me and you may have to have them custom formed. Try Andy's Auto Sports or Google them. I'm sure they're out there.

3. tbm3fan

tbm3fan Senior Member

My drain plugs are 9/16-6pt. heads so a 6pt. socket fits just right.

My gasket is the Mopar black plastic with the silicon seals all around the perimeter and bolt holes. I did trace the leak to the dip stick tube so that means a new o-ring.

I decided to use the poly bushings to replace the shredded rrubber bushings.