Driveshaft for 1966 line Puzzler

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'm baffled by this driveshaft on this 66 Fury.
It's not a trunion which ended in 65 and it sure doesn't look like the driveshafts I've seen on the 66's including mine..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-P...rs_Trucks&hash=item4d06063dbf#ht_26707wt_1166

62291261-46sm.jpg

In addition, I've never seen any slab with the duals hung like that. Yes? No?

Last edited:
Usually weighted driveshafts were used in later years from my experience.

I have had a few on some '76-'78 parts cars I had picked up years ago. Not sure if they were factory or aftermarket.

Im curious too.........

Never, ever, saw one on a C. A couple of Moparts boys claim they were used on a couple of B's.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

My 4spd '69 Road Runner had one, that I have owned since I was 15 and I'm certain it was original to the car, I have also had a couple others since that I don't know the history of and I am currently rebuilding the engine in a '69 R/T Charger auto and it has the collar also. All late 60s B-bodies...

My 4spd '69 Road Runner had one, that I have owned since I was 15 and I'm certain it was original to the car, I have also had a couple others since that I don't know the history of and I am currently rebuilding the engine in a '69 R/T Charger auto and it has the collar also. All late 60s B-bodies...

My 69 Super Bee had one. Went through a few sets of u-joints until I got the driveshaft spin balanced and put in an adjustable pinion snubber.

Looks like the exhaust on the left side was a repair job.

The driver's side is routed correctly. It's the passenger side that's effed up. It should mirror the driver's side.

Ya, the right side looks like it was routed wrong when originally installed.

Sure is snazzy exhaust...................NOT! The shaft looks just like the one on my 65 Coronet, which I am 100% certain is the original.

So if its original, does anyone know what the reasoning was/is for a weighted driveshaft to be used in certain instances; where identically optioned cars don't have them?

So if its original, does anyone know what the reasoning was/is for a weighted driveshaft to be used in certain instances; where identically optioned cars don't have them?
No C (from all the info I have seen) ever came with a weighted drive shaft. That drive shaft HAD to have come from a B-body. The funny part, even the B-body guys can't make heads or tails why, of identical cars, a few had weight drive shafts and most didn't.

My old u joint strap bolts gave out a couple years ago in the newport, and bent the shaft. A fellow c body buddy gave me a shsft supposedly out of a 300, or newport. Cant remember. Never saw the car. It is a wieghted one just like what is pictured. Ill try and get a picture of it when I get home.

so is it possible this one was damaged or altered/ modified to make it work? Sure it is .....Bugs you that much Stan?

Heres the pictures. I wanna say it came out of a 300, being he has a few of them, and is what he gets into. although it could of been a newport parts car.. Cant remember. Slid right into my newport though, and fit like a glove.

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

I can't say "NEVER" but since the origin of your drive shaft can't be verified, I have to go with what I have heard so far. I'd love to see an original survivor C-body with one. Adds to my list of trivia.

Back