Drooping sun visors

challenger

Reaction score
Any good cure (DIY of course) for these sun visors? They stay up great. And then I start the car and move it :D. Then they just flop down. I've had them sort of apart but didn't see a decent way to fix them.
Thanks

On my '66 vert there is a spring mechanism in the receiving clip, I don't know if yours is the same. If they are the same, I wrapped clear tape around the one end where the spring wasn't making contact. I worked for me and that one has the weight of a mirror.

Do you mean they come out of the clip by the mirror, or they won't stay folded up against the roof?

If they won't stay in the clip, just remove the mirror (2 screws), and there's a little plate under there with tabs that load against the sunvisor peg - just bend them a little and voila, clip works well again.

If they won't stay folded up, that has to do with the spring loaded hinge at the pivot end.

I believe you can take the sunvisor down and tighten a nut that will make the sunvisor stiffer to fold up or down.

Do you mean they come out of the clip by the mirror, or they won't stay folded up against the roof?

If they won't stay in the clip, just remove the mirror (2 screws), and there's a little plate under there with tabs that load against the sunvisor peg - just bend them a little and voila, clip works well again.

If they won't stay folded up, that has to do with the spring loaded hinge at the pivot end.

I believe you can take the sunvisor down and tighten a nut that will make the sunvisor stiffer to fold up or down.

I'll have to try that. My driver's side slowly rotates down about 1/2 way while driving.

I'll have to try that. My driver's side slowly rotates down about 1/2 way while driving.

Have you ever tried just pushing them up the highest they will go? Mine would do the same with the top down, but when I pushed them up, they are at the same angle as the window, and I was surprised they don't move.

I rarely have the top down so Id like to fold them up as far as they will go. They stay clipped into the rear view but they won't stay flipped up. Its like there is a sun sensor and they automatically try to keep the sun out of my eyes. The post/rod and the inside of the visor need to have a tighter fit but I don't know what would allow me to make the fit tighter.

The visors are just a friction fit on the rod, tke the visors off the rod and tap the visors with a hammer.
2016-02-01_001.jpg

Alan

One could also slightly (oh so slightly) add a curve to the actual rod to increase the friction on a more permanent level.

My idea about the spring loaded nut on the pivot point was off - that is just likely just to prevent rattling at the pivot point and to stiffen the pivot just enough to make the visor stay in place for this occasions when one has it folded back along the door glass - otherwise it bonks you in the side of the head when you go around corners!

You can always swap sides and let your passenger suffer with it. On my van, I had the same problem. There was sheet metal that was wrapped around the rod and upholstered with the visor itself. Come to find out that it had frozen onto the rod and someone forced it and broke the rod inside. LSS, I just got new visors and was done with it. Good Luck

The visors are just a friction fit on the rod, tke the visors off the rod and tap the visors with a hammer.
View attachment 140381

Alan

Thanks. I took mine off, gave it a few light taps with a rubber mallet along the length of the rod, and it appears to be a bit stiffer now. Next drive will tell.

50 mile drive and the visor stayed where it was supposed to, even with the garage door opener on it. Thanks Alan.

As indicated, the rod slides into the visor body. Where the rod slides in, it slides into a bushing of sorts. It is a split bushing, probably, which the tension screw, if it has one, tightens against.

In the world of middle-80s GM cars, that bushing is plastic and about 1" long, with a flange that keeps it from being installed farther into the visor body than it should be. On those cars, the "stub" for the sunshade support is only several inches long, rather than longer (as the earlier ones were).

When the support is removed from the visor body, the upholstery typically covers the flange of the bushing, so it's hard to see, but it's there. It can be removed with a pair of needle-nose pliers. The new one will be a little hard to install, just as the visor body on the support will be, too.

CBODY67

Back