Dropping Pan w/Engine in Car?

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here removed the oil pan with the engine still installed? '68 Newport 383 2BBL. The FSM lists a procedure, but I was wondering if there are any tricks or warnings? I want to clean out the pan and pickup since the oil I drained looked like mud:eek:ops:. Has anyone had good luck with a certain pan gasket or is there an improved one like on the 727 pan? With the pan removed should I go ahead and change the oil pump? Thanks guys.

Just did this recently on my 67 Newport 383-2.

You will need to jack up the engine 2 - 3".
Loosen the bolts that attach the motor mounts to the frame brackets.
Position a pc. of 1 x 4 hardwood (not soft like Pine) that is aprox. 12" long
under the harmonic balancer (some guys are shouting OMG right now but ignore them) and jack it up by the 1 x 4.
Remove pan.
THAT'S IT. :D

I see no need to change the oil pump but a new one won't hurt. Don't opt for the high volume or high pressure one.

Sounds like you need to desludge your engine after you finish.

I have never had a std. Fel-pro cork gasket leak. Do not over tighten.

Make sure the flange on the pan is flat!

Thank you very much Stan! I love this forum! I will try running the engine first and see if I really need a pump B4 shelling out the cash.

Any indicators that have you worried about the pump?

Now that I'm thinking about it, check the motor mounts themselves while you're under there. I'll bet money at least one of them are broken.

Not sure if there are any tricks other than maybe undoing the motor mounts to lift up the engine a bit, but myself I would put a new oil pump in what the hell it's accessible and it's short money now while it's already all open. Also inspect the bottom end as much as you can see for any obvious issues. And of course make sure you clean clean the bottom before you replace the gaskets and pan. ( I took a quickie short cut once :eek:ops: ) it sucks do do things twice.

PS. Yeah after reading Comando's
reply replace the motor mounts also. Just a note on replacing things I rebuilt my 318 once and was too cheep to buy a new fuel pump. Not long after she was running good I smelled gas in my oil while checking the level. Bottom line I ended up cleaning out all of the bearings with gasoline and blew the engine over a damn fuel ump, SO NOT WORTH IT !!!

Yeah you gotta jack the engine up a little! The Oil Pump will be fine, just run some "Marvels Mystery Fluid" through it with a fresh oil change.

Marvel Mystery Oil is regular motor oil thinned with acetone and has a mint oil added for its unique fragrance.
Look it up...

Marvel Mystery Oil is regular motor oil thinned with acetone and has a mint oil added for its unique fragrance.
Look it up...

If I looked it up, it would no longer be a mystery to me.

It would be like when I discovered the truth about Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Back