Dropping the steering column..

Stargazer

Reaction score
Ok guys,

quick question,
how to lower the steering column on a 69 Chrysler? (I want to remove the instrument cluster)
I loosened the two bolts above the column, no movement. Then loosened the three bolts on the big plate above the column with no result. It should be moving by now according to the manual.
Must the bolts bolted to the firewall also be removed?

Also, should the gear selection ”shifter handle” be removed before lowering the column?
15E7B1E0-581D-4908-B14A-A39CD9158B58.jpeg
65F34C8D-FCA7-43E4-A6EF-C5A40D4F430B.jpeg
94824A0F-23C3-4A9E-A02B-5EA75C7BF3EB.jpeg

That should work, I'd take out those two by the firewall too. The shift and turn levers don't have to be removed as far as I know but the indicator needle needs to be though.

Offhand, I'd say that upside down nut (shown with red arrow) is going to block your progress.

Column.jpg

Yes like big john says take off the nut and the next nut Under it, it’s double nutted formthe ground wire.

And you need to remove 3 bolts from the firewall (in red). The 2 in yellow do nothing for freeing the column.

EC8A6AB6-9826-4B81-9A41-43B4AAF7F3D5.jpeg

The shift indicator needle is attached to the "shift level bowl" on the steering column that moves with the shift lever . . . by a fishing line-type "string", which is loosely bolted to that bowl. So when the bowl moves, the shifter needle moves. No need to remove the indicator, just take that nut off that holds the string to the bowl . . . which is also where you adjust that needle's position in the indicator.

Might need something to support the column after you "drop it" so that any flexible couplings and such are not damaged from "out of range" movements.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Ok guys thanks for the input.
I loosened all the bolts, but not yet the bolts to the firewall like 413 mentioned. Will proceed with those tomorrow!

The indicator needle was allready removed.

Back