Dual exhaust help

NewportTM

Reaction score
I am going to put dual exhaust on my 66 Newport next week. I would like to have a nice sound, but do not want an excessive amount of sound in the car. Any suggestions on which mufflers to go with or which ones to stay away from? The Newport has the original 383 with a 2 barrel.:tiphat:

That's a controversial subject. What I may think isn't to loud, and sounds good the others may not. You can go to youtube.com, or different muffler manufacturer website and listen to clips.

Summit turbos are cheap and sound correct with a bit of noise, perfect IMHO for a car to put a lot of miles on.

Flowmaster 40's........

You have to take this one with a grain of salt since he was in artillery in the Army. His hearing is shot...

I have Dynomax on my 360 Polara. Not the 13" which drone terribly, but the 20" which don't and have a low muted rumble.

When I have thought of this same issue myself, I went to Youtube.com and looked for the same type of car with the type/lack of mufflers. If not the exact one then look for similar size motors in other style of cars. Another option is to go directly to the muffler websites and see if you can listen to the various types. Happy listening.

I was all pumped when I had flowmaster installed on the blumo. But when she rolled out of the shop, and to this day it doesn't do much for me. Sounds too close to a mustang theme for me... Looking to do the dynomax super turbos next.

Just get a pair of reproduction Hemi mufflers from Accurate and retain a little rumble.

Alan

I had a pair of those. Great compromise. I reccomend them in this case.

mufflerpage.jpg

Would these be them?

Awesome advice here. I like the idea of maintaining some authentic exhaust sound. I've seen some cars that have a good sound but it doesn't sound like a 60s Mopar. Kinda ruins the effect.

I'd agree with those guys advocating to go with something that's going to maintain an authentic sound (and add a splash of rumble).

I got the Dynomax super turbos with my tti exhaust. If I dont like them I'm going with Flowmaster 40's.

Back